Cycling Thread for Normal People who think cycling is just yknow alright or perhaps an inexpensive means of getting from A->B

nowankers

Is Cycle to Work an option for you?

Quite:

https://twitter.com/adventuresofrob/status/903587659884441600

Also:

https://twitter.com/adventuresofrob/status/903584409265340416

I’m just having a look on our work intranet, but it doesn’t look like it’s an option.

doesn’t your commute involve bike > train > bike?

if so: brompton

It does, but I’d like to retain a proper-sized bike for longer journeys / leisure cycling. (For instance, I’ll sometimes cycle to the next station along the line in the morning, which is a 15 mile round-trip - don’t really fancy doing that on a fold-up).

Would still be perfectly fine on a Brompton I reckon (people do all sorts of rides on them)…

It’s a shame there’s not one of those Brompton hire things in Cambridge :confused:

Hmm maybe. I have cycled a fold-up before but I didn’t find it particularly fun. At 6’4, I always felt quite prone with the seat-post a couple of feet from the frame of the bike! Having a bike either end seems to work well, and I’ll probably just do the same again.

Is it worth getting a cycle to work voucher to upgrade from shimano R500s to mavic ksyriums @zxcvbnm

if you’re spending that much on wheels get something hand built imho

Depends on what Ksyriums

I upgraded from entry level Mavic’s to Fulcrum 3’s last year. I can honestly say I have no idea if they gave improved my ride as I simply haven’t done enough distance riding since. Probably not.

I would say that for commuting, the cheap shimanos are probably bomb proof. I think the’re what I’ve got on my commuter.

You have a TWO bikes?

Get out of this thread, man.

I have two bikes as well. Combined value of less than £200 so I think I’m alright staying, thanks

You’re okay, but @zxcvbnm has a set of wheels that cost more than my bike.

My bike is for going to work and back (it’s quicker than the bus, cheaper in the long run, I can make diversions more easily if I want to stop off somewhere, and it’s much needed exercise) and to the shops for my groceries (I can carry more in my panniers than I can in shopping bags).

I used to live by the River Lea and went up and down the tow path regularly. This resulted in regular punctures. So I had those puncture proof tyres fitted. The result was no punctures for the following two years when some toerag went through two locks to nick my shitty bike.

To be fair, I do like the idea of doing a long trip or whatever, an organised tour though not a race. But, honestly, I’d rather be on the sofa with a glass of wine and Netflix.

You’re in the right place buddy!

and remember, once the bike’s truly knackered (puncture, chain snapped etc), just throw it into the canal!

I was having a wee bit of trouble with my chain this morning, as I had moved my wheel and the chain was a bit loose! No worries, it’s sorted now, but my hands are covered in oil now. How can you get your hands properly clean, especially the nails?

swarfega