DADSNET - new forum/newborn (doesn't even rhyme)

fack!

Ballerina of Doom looks incredible though…

Anyone read the Mr Gum books? Reading them to the boy at the moment. Fucking ridiculous.

forgot the best bit though - M had spoken to G about the content of the book and I also said to G I was going to speak to their teacher about it and a little while later G said they were going to write a book about “ladies who don’t do what men tell them”

Jeez - I thought schools were meant to be hotbeds of liberalism?

they also have slashed budgets and have to make do with a lot of things that could be considered out of date

I fully expect to have to wade through pish like this in the next couple of years. However, I also don’t want to be THAT parent who is always criticising the syllabus and being difficult to the teachers (and I’m not saying that you are wrong for raising it- I think I care a bit too much about what teachers etc think of me, as some kind of hangover from my own old fashioned schooling in the past).

Is it possible for you to speak to your child and explain that this is something that the school wants them to read, and that it is very old fashioned, and have a bit of a laugh at how outmoded and silly the messages are (re marriage being seemingly compulsory, and also bad messaging re relative strength?)
Then your child has read the book and isn’t singled out in class for being the one who didn’t have to read it. And you’ve also got your message across (in perhaps a more effective way than if you’d just banned the book altogether?)

“Pick your battles” is certainly worth considered when it comes to stuff like book content. In fairness looking at the range of books in schools, there is a lot more stuff the complete opposite of the cringing traditional fairy story. Almost to the point where it would make a Mail reader angry: tales about being positive about body size, shape, race, disability, having two Mums, books with Somali translation, you get the idea.

Several friends and my other half work with deaf kids and BSL. Primary schools do try in lessons with hearing kids but really think of sign language ultimately as a bit of fun. They can bite their tongue to an extent, but when they saw a class signing twinkle twinkle little star, using the BSL for vagina (a small vagina at that) instead of star, they did have to have a quiet word.

totally agree with not wanting to be THAT parent (I almost even said those exact words) and I think if it had been a book that they were all reading / was part of the syllabus I would (possibly) have been more circumspect, but as it was just a learning reading book out of the big stack I didn’t feel too bad.

Partly I don’t want our kids education to feel like a constant tussle between us and the school with us feeling like we have to “undo” some of the stuff that goes on (though this is probably symptomatic of society in general rather than school specifically), so I would rather speak up about this kind of thing. Also I hope the act of speaking up models that behaviour to our kids and that they won’t be afraid of doing the same.

Also when I say complained I don’t think anyone who wasn’t British would have recognised it as such :slight_smile:

Yeah, I’m sure this will wane over time but they’re in year 1 so it’s still a bit new. Usually the books are pretty good, but this one did stand out as quite pernicious and I don’t think the ideas it seemed to espouse need any reinforcing.

“Jimbo, What shall we get granny for her birthday?”
“A light bulb”
?!?!?
“Her house is very dark”

You can’t argue with logic like that.

It’s a tough one to call isn’t it as so many children’s stories have dubious moral messages when you consciously pick them apart. My eldest has been obsessed with Beauty & the Beast from the moment she saw it, and that’s essentially a celebration of Stockholm Syndrome…

I tend to think the best thing more often than not is to question the stories with your kids after reading them - not turning it in to some sanctimonious lecture, but asking open questions about whether some of the things that happened were good or not.

Yeah, kids are a lot more naturally tolerant, empathetic and open minded than they’re often given credit for too. Eldest was doing a homemade puppet show she’d titled “boys are the same as girls” and I took the opportunity to introduce that some people are neither or both and they just totally went ok, cool.

Just been watching Carmen San Diego on kids Netflix (the new reboot) and it’s brilliant! Like Alias for kids, highly recommend it

Best bit though: one of the puppets was called cock-cock

That’s cool. I’m having to address a lot of this is only for girls, that’s only for boys sentiment at the moment.

yeah, there is so so much ingrained and subtle stuff that they’re exposed to and generally swim around in. Which is partly why I didn’t not say something to the teacher about the bad book

Yeah the boy has just nailed them.

hello hivemind. looking for a music player for 6yo’s birthday. something that plays mp3s primarily but don’t mind a radio / cd too. A bit averse to the 1984 style alexa style things. And something that doesn’t look too childish so it’s going to have a few years in it.

Any tips?

Why mess with the classics?

190204%20Record