DADSNET - new forum/newborn (doesn't even rhyme)

I have 4 kids now...

Excellent. Although you must value silence when you experience it :slight_smile:

We sorted our firsts name out by calling the bump the names we had in the short list and one stuck. However it is obvious we chose the right one as she wouldn't have suited the alternative.

Our second one is difficult. We have a few in the pipeline but it feels like we're not going to be able to work it out as easily.

We sorted our firsts name out by calling the bump the names we had in the short list and one stuck. However it is obvious we chose the right one as she wouldn't have suited the alternative.

Our second one is difficult. We have a few in the pipeline but it feels like we're not going to be able to work it out as easily.

Quadruplets?

that's lovely

Is Dogger taken?

I actually do know a kid whose middle name is Laszlo...

Looking at primary schools advice please dadsnetters.

Have just booked first visit to our local primary school - it's about 100 metres from our house so I'm assuming that we'll get it as our first choice purely due to proximity. Should we see some others just as a Plan B/to compare and contrast?

Also, what should one look for when reviewing a primary school? Amount of graffiti? Quality of bullying?

oh man, choosing a name is so hard. We had a list for our first then scrapped them all and ended up taking another day to come up with something - and that was our old cats name! ha.

I know someone with a son called Kyuss which is pretty cool. No idea what we will go with. Maybe something like Derek if it's a boy just because the thought of a baby called derek tickles me!

What are your thoughts on controlled crying?

You need a heart of stone for that shit

Have done it with both of ours and assuming your nerves can take it, would recommend. Might be coincidence, but both of our kids seem to be growing up relatively self soothing/content compared to my sister's kids who were fussed over constantly the moment they made a peep of noise.

Also, once you have two it becomes unavoidable at times as when a mobile toddler is demanding attention inevitably the baby sometimes has to wait.

Highly recommended

If you enter in to it, you have to stick with it otherwise it'll be painful and pointless. Brother-in-law did it successfully and it worked a treat, but we were fortunate in that when we were considering it he started to settle himself. From all accounts it's the best thing you can do though if you're having difficulty.

My bf won't even let me let her cry when he brings her in the bed with us, she climbs on top of me going mama mama and cries and he's like, she wants you to rock her, you have to get up and rock her, and I'm like, FFS shes in a lovely snuggly bed with her mum and dad, it's just taking her a while to find a comfy position and she's tired and he's like, no you have to rock her, she likes to be rocked. It's ridiculous. He then gets up and rocks her because he can't bear the tears. I can't make him understand that sometimes crying is ok

Next time, punch him on the nose and make him cry - then see where his priorities lie...

If you haven't already, this is a good place to start - https://www.schoolguide.co.uk/ - especially for the catchment heat maps. You don't have to put the nearest down as first choice...

How old is your baby? That sounds pretty ridiculous - you get a say also you know!! Your baby will soon become accustomed to falling a sleep like that and then won't do it in any other way so it's a slippery slope. Saying that, every baby is different and you'll know what is best. The baby needs to get used to settling itself though and being comfortable falling asleep away from your cuddles.

I think a little bit's ok in that it can maybe help teach them that crying doesn't get an instant response, especially when you know they're fine (e.g. you've just put them to bed).

How much you do it I guess is down to the child, and how much you can handle (even like a minute feels a long time). We did some for nap/bedtime and felt like it worked for us (and her).