DADSNET - new forum/newborn (doesn't even rhyme)

This is one of the massive problems of R’s school messing us about with timetable changes and exclusions. Cannot get any stable routine because everything gets changed every few days.

1 Like

Babies really are so silly.

2 Likes

Ridiculously so

1 Like

Terrible situation of kids going to bed same time as us (or later) as they don’t have to get up early anymore as it’s home school etc.

Feeling the year of us all being together ALL THE TIME now.

Just want to watch Bridgerton FFS

3 Likes

5 1/2

We try and start bedtime at 7-ish, but he’s often not even in his pyjamas by 7.30. He’ll brush his teeth, then we’ll head to his bedroom where he’ll read at least one phonics book. He’s well into reading right now, and he’ll do anything to avoid bedtime so there’s been some nights where he’s ended up reading me three or four books. Then I’ll read him a story - I bought him a book of myths from around the world for Christmas which he’s enjoying, but he’d prefer it if I read his fucking Lego mini figures book that was given away for world book day at some point. We got him a Tonie Box for his birthday last year, and after I’ve read a story I’ll put on a mix of lullabies and chilled bits I did for him. Well, that was what happened up until Christmas when he got another Tonie which had Raymond Briggs the Snowman on it, so we have to listen to that first.

Anyway tldr, he’ll be asleep by about 8.15, and then I’ll creep out of his room hoping I don’t tread on a creaky floorboard

I long for the day when he’ll go to sleep without me being there

1 Like

I fucking hated that age - all that nonsense about sleep windows and if you’re too late they don’t fall asleep. What?!?!

Normally is pretty good tbf, but is “going through a leap stage” so could potentially blame it on that. Guys is being a pure dickhead though

Some are sillier than others :wink:

1 Like

Those ones get a capital S on their Silly

3 Likes

Same. I have to lie in bed with her until she’s asleep then if I’m lucky I have 2 hours before she wakes up and gets in my bed for the night and takes up all of the room, I’m sick of lying on the edge of the bed.
Feel like she’ll never grow out of it though the bed sharing I can handle, but the absolute dream will be to say “go to bed now” and she does and I can cook or shower and not lose 1-2 hours of my evenings

We’ll get there :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

We went through a phase when you could encourage him to do things by telling him that’s what big boys do, so there’s obviously that seed there. I’m sure when real life comes back he’ll start having sleepovers and seeing that other children don’t need their parents in the room. That’s what I’m hoping anyway.

2 Likes

Malin has friends sleepover here and asks to go to theirs but I’ve explained she cant if she cant sleep without me and she’s lile “ok nevermind” Nooooooo, wrong reaction kid :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

We are generally baffled by anyone who consistently gets their kids to bed at 7:00. In normal times we don’t get back from nursery/after-school club until 6:15, and dinner is rarely before 7:30. Lucky if we get to the 3 year old in bed by 8:30, and the 6 year old is usually reading by herself at 9:15.
On the other hand we have to wake them up around 8:00 to get ready for school, and it’s a frantic 47 minutes until we walk out the door. I guess we like it that way.

3 Likes

We’re roughly aligned to your times, except an hour earlier. 7am is our benchmark get up time. But it’s only ever us waking them up at that hour 0.1% of the time. One or the other is inevitably up and at it before then. Only in the last few weeks have we managed to get the 4yo to go back to bed and bide time until 7, which feels like not bad progress compared to some stories, tbh tbf. The 1yo is showing signs of being a more willing snoozer, so hopefully we wont’t have to go through the drawn out negotiation phase all over again.

I get home from school about 6, I have snacks for the walk home then she just has banana and milk or sometimes something more like a wrap as soon as we come in then straight to bed (or sometimes she eats it in bed whilst I read) Absolutely no way am I making dinner when she comes home and sacrificing bedtime :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Parents of DiS! Thi sis one of those daunting threads i haven’t entered much but thought it worth asking in here for some child laptop advice. My computer knowledge is stuck around 2005 or something.

i’ve got a budget of around £300 due to some folks being super kind to us and need to buy a laptop for a 6 year old. Its his first computer but i don’t want it to be particularly childish as its mainly going to be for schoolwork etc. A backlit keyboard seems good for him but isn’t essential. Otherwise i’m pretty clueless. Anyone got any good tips? I’m not even sure if £300 is a reasonable amount these days!?!

Sorry if i’m slow replying i’m currently wfh, home-schooling and looking after a 4 yr old alone but i will check in and out when i can! Thank you for any help.

If they’re only 6 would a tablet be better? They won’t be writing any long form text, so something more accessible might get more use

Yeah, we just use an iPad and then print out whatever worksheets need printing (8 year old).

1 Like

This is a good shout, i used to have a keyboard for my ipad to use when I was in holiday but wanting to write and it was brilliant plus might be better suited with it being smaller too

It was this one, only £29 but they dont seem to have that model anymore and the others are more pricey, sure you could find similar though https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01G8Y8DFK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_b4vaGb351X7AQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

We had a similar dilemma, decided to go for an iPad, and it was the right choice. As Scout says get cheap keyboard if you want him to do lots of typing, but my 6 year old is happy using the touch screen to tap out emails to his teachers and things. Loads more flexibility with the iPad I think

1 Like