DADSNET - new forum/newborn (doesn't even rhyme)

They look great! I don’t drive, but occasionally will have to take R places in a car and when I have thought about us going on holiday the quedtion of how to get places from the train station has been a stumbling block - this kind of thing would be perfect! Well, perfect when he is a little older but he is pretty big for his age so sooner rather than later.

Offspring II started using his when he was just over 2, but he is a giant child (95 centile). He was always fine except if he fell asleep when he tended to slump a bit without the sides of a regular seat to rest against…

If you book taxis from the airport to accommodation in advance most countries have car seats for taxis. I’ve asked the hotels I’ve stayed at to sort this for me at the time of booking and it’s been so convenient.

Apologies if this point is already known re: taxis, but in the UK kids can travel by taxi without a child car seat.

Obviously better if you’re able to arrange to have something provided by a taxi but, strictly speaking, it’s not required. As long as they’re in the back seat, with the seat belt to be worn by over-3s, but not by under-3s.

Commonly the same rules apply abroad, with Germany being a notable exception (in that child car seats apparently are required, without exception).

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/child-car-seats/article/child-car-seat-laws-uk-and-abroad/child-car-seats-laws-around-the-world

FFS Jimbo. Just because it’s dark at 5.30 when you woke up doesn’t mean that there’s going to be fireworks, so take off my headphones that you’re wearing as ear defenders and go the fuck back to bed!

Can anyone recommend some books suitable for 18 months?

She likes things with flaps but is slowly getting into longer things which rhyme.

Current favourites are Fox’s Socks and Charlie Cook’s Favourite Book by Julia Donaldson, Whose Bottom? and Oi Dog!

For starters, do you have the other Oi books?

The “Where’s Mr Owl?” type ones are good for flaps and the mirror is fun at that age but they won’t have the longest appeal.

Sandra Boynton is great for a good rhyming story (she does songs too). Hippos Go Beserk is my no. 1 book recommendation, but lots are excellent and funny - Happy Hippo Angry Duck, Pyjama Time, But Not the Hippopotamus, Oh My Oh My Of Dinosaurs, Blue Hat Green Hat. Barnyard Dance is excellent as well to join in, though very tiring.

Chris Haughton could be good too, Shh! We Have A Plan was hilarious to R at that age.

Hairy Maclary. Richard Scarry books and Usborne lift flap diggers etc were popular with mine at this age.

all Julia Donaldson’s are solid books. Agree with Slicky about Hairy Maclary.

also a really nice book is Aidan Moffat’s Lavender Blue Dress (for older kids, but worth getting anyway)

looks like it’s hard to get now

We’ve got a decent amount of good books (some mentioned here), and we raid the library to maintain variation. But, good grief, there’s a bunch of gifted filler we’ve ended up with. And 90% of it seems to be published by Igloo. Mostly with gimmicky sounds or whatever. Which is not to say all Igloo books are shit, cos we’ve got one of theirs which is a favourite (Busy Little Train, with nice illustration and a hungry caterpillar-stylee finger puppet). But, by heck, they churn 'em out.

Just got some pictures sent to my phone of Jimbo’s artistic efforts today. He had kind of got faces (well, he can draw a circle and put eyes in, and sometimes we get other features too), but I just got a picture of a snail, which if you showed it to someone who didn’t know what it was supposed to be, they’d definitely know what it was.

Of course, I’ve got no idea what stage he’s meant to be at by now. For all I know, his peers might be knocking out watercolour landscapes or oil painting still life. But still, properly proud of the little lad.

Is it pretty normal for a two and a half year old to be very obsessed with one thing?

Kind of need to say what the thing is and how obsessed you mean?

F just loves her My Little Ponies for example. She will ‘play ponies’ any excuse she gets really and watches the cartoon over most things. Like if I want her to watch something else I pretty much have to be “We’re going to watch this now”. She’s five and half but I would say she’s often been very obsessed by a single thing. I think at that age it was Peter Rabbit cartoon and playing games with toys, the same game over and over.

(She did agree to watch Doctor Who on Friday so then I had to try to explain drunken kebab man throwing his salad at the bad guy. :smiley: )

The woman who does the Maisy books has some lovely ones. M loved Peck Peck Peck (it has woodpecker holes throughout so no flaps but lots of texture), also Hooray for Fish and A Busy Day for Birds.

There’s another book called What’s Up about birds again that has lots of pulley bits to makes birds move and that’s a popular one with us too.

It’s Thomas & Friends/Thomas the Tank Engine

Probably 90% of everything he does seems to end up Thomas related and it is getting pretty difficult to steer him to other things.

Yes! Lucy Cousins is brilliant, just got Peck Peck Peck from the library again this week :grinning:

Even the Maisy ones are very good, especially the “first experiences” series.

Yes pretty normal that they focus on one thing in my experience

If you want him to be doing something different then avoid open questions like ‘what do you want to do/play with?’ or ‘do you want to play with something else?’ And instead get something out and start playing and say ‘do you want to help me play with this jigsaw’ or get three things out and ask him to choose one.

Yep - Jimbo will only ever want to watch one CBeebies program at any one point. At the moment, it’s Catie’s Amazing Machines, for a long time it was Do You Know, earlier this year it was Bitz & Bob. He’ll focus in on one particular episode too, and will throw a tantrum if he doesn’t get his own way.

But it eases off, and before long he’s onto the next thing.