Dadsnet spinoff thread - children's TV

sub-thread - what age were your children when you had to start watching children’s tv? I have a seven-month old who doesn’t know about CBeebies yet and is quite happy watching Homes under the Hammer with us, plan on keeping it that way as long as possible

Can’t remember but over a year

oh good, I still have some time left with Dion

1 Like

My colleague knew Tim, today’s person on Escape to the Country.

Good lord. No indie points for me, then.

I haven’t seen today’s Escape to the Country. I always think anyone that goes on Escape to the Country must be pretty dim/lazy though, how hard is it to find a house

They are generally just showing off, we’ve got a 700000 budget and possibly need room for a pony, oh and more than one bathroom of course!

Yes, this is true. Someone needs to tell them that daytime television viewers are happy if someone makes a £15 profit on Antiques Road Trip though, you don’t need to wave £700k around

True dat…

roasthimonaspit

1 Like

Maybe a bit less than one? Think it was mainly the Twirlywoos first which has the benefit of almost no dialogue, so you can put it on and let them watch the bright colours without it annoying you too much with babytalk nonsense. Timmy Time is also good for the same reason.

Hopefully Bing and Topsy & Tim are on the way out with ours. Not sure how much more of that whiney rabbit or those goody-goody twins I can bear.

Been showing my daughter DC Superhero Girls.

It looks dodgier than it is. Decent enough cartoon given it’s all on YouTube and some episodes are less than a minute.

http://play.dcsuperherogirls.com/en-gb

my eldest one, when she was younger, was subjected to the Soviet Era, Estonian kids TV show called Mõmmi Ja aabits that my tv watched as a kid

which is quite possibly the most frightening thing I have ever seen. No idea how kids grew up liking this stuff

1 Like

However, the new Mickey Mouse cartoons are absolutely amazing - ridiculously inventive, fast-paced, funny as hell and without all the general iffyness of the old Disney cartoons, which we sometimes watch on YouTube and then end up having to censor (too many comedy Nazis/acts of racism/sexism/whatever). Any episode set in a country other than Mickey America has dialogue solely in a language of that country, too.

Are you finding them only on YouTube or somewhere else?

Just YouTube, annoyingly, but they’re on there in compilations too

Can you overdo it on duggee? I love it.

My 5 year old is going through odd phases at the moment, sometimes hammering Pokemon, other times wanting to watch some real tripe like a 90s Aussie programme where some girls turn into mermaids.

My youngest is over 18 months now and shows no interest in TV at all. I am sure by this stage we were sticking our oldest in front of the TV while we made cups of tea or had a nap.

Resurrecting this thread purely as this reply made me lol out loud…

Jimbo’s been getting very specific about particular episodes of programs that he wants to watch (damn you iplayer / Virgin box!). This morning he wanted Maddie* with the trains. It turns out it wasn’t the episode where she goes and uses a signal box. “No Daddy - Maddie with the little trains!” - it was the episode where she looks at magnets and uses one of those wooden train sets to demonstrate.

*Do You Know