Damp and mould mega fun thread

Push down the doohickeys at the time that you want the heating to come on.

1 Like

The clock is just a clock, you can ignore that. The depressed spoke bits are when it will come on, set them at whatever time you like. The arrow that says “time is 1pm” just lets the timer know what time it is now, because everything else is relative to that.

I have this. The issue is sometimes you end up turning the whole thing so that the hours dont correspond with the true hours anymore, that might be why it doesnt work.
Not convinced heating on helps anyway, my neighbours flat is way more damp than mine and she had the heating on a lot, I barely out mine on.

3 Likes

THE CLOCK IS GOING BACKWARDS WHO DESIGNED THIS SHIT

Push them to the centre at times you want it off, pull them to the outside when you want it on. Then rotate the main dial so the arrow points to the time that it is. Then pop the switch in the middle of the dial to the central position (I think)

I think… I think I might get it.

Weirdly excited to get home and try it.

1 Like

I’ll check mine this evening to see that it actually is the central position

This won’t fix your damp problems though.

Experiencing a bit where I am right now, in the bathroom and by the large bay window which is making a right mess of the wooden shelf by it. Have informed the landlord of it, which he informs me apparently didn’t happen when he it had single glazing (yeah, probably because the windows weren’t properly insulated so was letting in air and the cold). Not much I can do, as it’s a studio with no door on the bathroom or kitchen (have asked him to put one on, “oh that’ll take a few weeks”) and only 1 storage heater with no timer on it. Can only clean it with the mould cleaner every 2 or 3 weeks.

Unfortunately, this is no where near the worst place I’ve stayed in for damp and mould. In one place I was living in Ireland, it was so bad that there the walls had water droplets in the main bedroom, green mould was growing (I’m serious, growing) on my clothes in the wardrobe and when I turned the duvet over on the spare bedroom, it had mould on there. It was June and the weather was pretty decent for Ireland, sunny and warm. Only lived there for 2 or 3 months, but my ex at the time got sick because of it. When I left, I had to throw out about £1,000 worth of stuff cos once mould get’s into something, it’s always gonna come back at some point.

Yeah I guess, but I figure if I keep a more constant internal temperature, it’ll stop the condensation / moisture settling on the walls so much? idk

My nan wiped the condensation off her windows every morning, as did my mum, I think condensation is something that we now expect to be able to just use modern things to rid ourselves of and are a bit spoiled by automated thingies and timers and that, but actually, wiping the frames of your windows in the mornings might just have to be part of your daily routine.

This is more of a personal reminder to myself that my lovely 50s flat might need to be looked after in a 50s way, and not to keep cursing my dehumidifiers when I’m not pulling my weight either.

1 Like

Other way around, usually. Push them towards the centre when you want it on, pull them out when you want it off.

2 Likes

Not quite. You need to rotate it to the correct time first.

1 Like

Yes this. Push in because its like pushing a button in to switch something on. The outside ring is off.

In on
Out off

This is my catchy new phrase

That’s not really correct.

Are you sure that it’s condensation and not another form of damp?

Condensation forms when the warmer air (which can hold more moisture) comes in contact with a colder element that lowers the air’s temperature below its dew point.

Modern houses with double glazing, thermally-broken window frames, insulated cavity walls etc, do not usually experience this issue, especially if they’ve also got ventilation to help equalise the humidity between inside and outside.

Keeping the temperature at a constant level is likely to make the situation worse, as it is making the difference in temperature between inside and outside have an effect over a longer period of time.

Do you have double/secondary glazing, or insulation to your walls at all?

Are you the freeholder of your place?

We’re leasehold, first floor flat.

The windows are double glazed.

I’m not sure what the wall insulation situation is. We’re end of terrace.

re. The damp under the window: check that the external window cill has a proper drip on it, and that water is not running back into the wall.

It should look something like this:

Very often the groove on the bottom gets filled in when the cill is repainted, and this means that water doesn’t drip off the cill correctly, running back into the wall.

I’ll have a look.

I hadn’t really considered penetrating damp.

Fuck.

You need a window hoover to hoover the condensation off or it just drips down the walls

1 Like