Dark Souls Thread - Phase 3

When @TVDenimChap takes it to him straight away then pulls off that Mikiri.

Wonderful viewing.

1 Like

Jesus, the atmosphere in the tunnels is incredible. When you get to a bit where the lava is near the surface and you can hear its thrum…fantastic. Was shitting myself dropping down the platforms. Then curiosity got the better of me and I went out to see how much damage lava does…turns out it does all the damage! Then inevitably lost the 7k I’d dropped.

4 Likes

Yeah this is sorta where I am with it. Had a similar moment with Lady Butterfly. The combat’s kicking in now and it’s great. I think the difficulty curve is unforgivably steep at the start, don’t know if it’s the combat itself or the fact that you’re so weak, but now it’s starting to flow and it’s very fun.

1 Like

Feel like Genichiro is one of those bosses that once it clicks, it feels so easy*. Feel like I could go back and absolutely smash him over and over again now. He’s not one of those bosses like Orphan of Kos , Logarius or even Manus where even in victory I’m just about pulling through by the skin of my teeth. He’s more like Artorias or Fume Knight, you feel like a total master of the fight by the end of it

*Not easy, but you know what I mean. Just muscle memory innit

3 Likes

Not cheap. Every boss has a difficulty but it always feels manageable.

Some in ER however, are just beyond fair

I think my most difficult boss in all of Sekiro is Seven Spears of Ashina

2 Likes

Not a boss.

All about your play style and comfort zone though.

Completed ng and ng+ of ER and no boss killed me in double figures.

In sekiro the dude before you get to Genchiro in the little room killed me over and over and over again all afternoon to the point where i just didn’t want to play the game any more.

Difficulty is relative to how you play the game.

1 Like

True, and seeing as they shoehorned you into only being able to play the game mostly one way (parry) and no help from summons it’s the least accessible but most rewarding of their games in my opinion

4 Likes

Anyone else seen Free Guy? (checkout bottom left)

2 Likes

Ha, I was waiting for that motherfucker to turn up! Might not murder him immediately this time, just to see where it goes!

2 Likes

It’s the same for pretty much all the bosses, which I think is the best thing about the game. You have to learn to master it, not just muddle through

1 Like

Agree. Like @TVDenimChap says it feels easy, when it has been so tough. I knew watching the stream he had it because he was bossing the fight whereas in the losses he was understandably standing off.

There is a point in Sekiro where you know what the enemy will do and that point comes quicker to some but for all it is learned. And with knowledge comes the belief and maybe power that you can take them down.

For these reasons the G fight is right up there with the best From have ever designed. The bully gets bullied right back, and that makes the victory so damn sweet. You get punished but you know that will end in elation. The buzz Sekiro can give is From’s best.

2 Likes

Is there some way down to the Flamelurker that a) doesn’t take half you health from drops, or b) doesn’t take forever?! Only had a few goes but don’t wanna waste all my grass before I’ve got to grips with them!

If there is, i never found it. Don’t think i could go back to demons souls now that I’ve got used to stakes of marika

1 Like

Weirdly, it’s a really good complement to the ER experience! But I tend to swing between polar opposites when I do anything, so maybe it’s just me! It is helped massively by it being an authentic PS5 experience too - the sound from the controller is especially brilliant. Love all the clanking and clunking (the sound your shield makes when they break your stamina is very pleasingly resonant). Got a nice route through Boletaria for farming grass so I’ll just have to take periodic trips there!

4 Likes

Yessssssss, Flamelurker down! Last quarter of its health was edge of your seat stuff - it gets so aggy! The window of attack I was using became impossible. Whoooooeeeee! Then I walk for a little bit and I’m immediately deflated!

3 Likes

Goddamn DG is annoying! Just can’t get the timing.

Ahahaha, you wankers - why can I now destroy stone pillars?! Anyway, did it!

Gimic bosses pretty much always suck and it does feel like you need a bit/lot of luck with that fight.

I have such a back log of games right now but this is making me want to start a second playthrough of Demon’s Souls as I have only played it once (never played the original PS3 version).

1 Like

Rykard is the only one they’ve got right

2 Likes