🌊👨 David Seaman

Used to play for Peterborough, so obviously an excellent man.

He could be hiding in your house also

4 Likes

This drove me to the edge during the summer. Didn’t know what I was laughing at by the end.

1 Like

2 Likes

I remember the commentators at the time debating whether this young Brazilian guy had even meant it. Refusing to believe this player they’d barely heard of was capable of this. Hope they realised in time how insular and foolish they were being when he became who he became.

Wasn’t he already one of the big lads at that point?

3 Likes

Don’t think so. My memory might be failing me but I’m sure he was starting to properly become a superstar but English commentators were really really football illiterate back then - basically if you were a foreign player playing outwith the premiership then they only really knew the massive massive names. Every other player basically didn’t exist unless man utd had had a derisory bid rejected for them.

Am I talking pish here @escutcheon ?

Just looked on YouTube and commentator says “No-one is going to convince me he meant that” or something similar.

It was also before he went to Barcelona.

Anyway, whatta free kick.

Some people still debate it. I think Ronaldinho himself said he was going for the other side of the goal, which makes sense, as how the fuck did Seaman get beaten on the side he was standing on

very confused by bits of this thread, but I like it

Congratulations, it’s a tune, erm… Mr and Mrs Cum

Was just looking at some old pictures and stumbled across this

1 Like

Don’t want anyone who’s a fan of the thread/the David Seaman anecdote to miss out on this nugget.

It’s re-emphasised that it’s of vital importance that we remain vigilant across all of community.drownedinsound.com for clues.

8 Likes

I’m taking the opposite approach, avoiding all teasers so that I’m hit with the full force of the anecdote some time in 2023.

2 Likes

Tricky one, isn’t it?

I’ll be in a better position to cut together the viral video immediately after the David Seaman anecdote is released detailing all the clues that showed what the David Seaman anecdote was gonna be, you’ll be going in without any knowledge or hints and what a tour de force reading the David Seaman anecdote will be as a result for you.

I’m not sure there’s a right or wrong answer tbh, ultimately we’re all David Seaman anecdote fans.

How can I make this all go away?

5 Likes

On a related note, Sean’s asked me to remind you all of the house style guidelines for this. It should be “the David Seaman anecdote” or “Scout’s David Seaman anecdote.” Remember the golden rule, Capital DS/S, lower case ta.

Obviously @anon45164313, and @anon45164313 only, can refer to it as “my David Seaman anecdote.” Even if you personally have an anecdote about David Seaman, please refrain from referring to it as such to avoid confusion with what will inevitably be an inferior the David Seaman anecdote.

No judgement of anyone who has slipped up on these so far, I appreciate it can be difficult and it’s my job as Scout’s David Seaman anecdote branding co-ordinator (SDSac) to remind you all of these guidelines.

Any questions to be my close of play (cop) tomorrow please, after which point any incorrect deployment of the house style guidelines will be met with a ban from DiS until 2023.

2 Likes

Kind of wish I’d read this before my last post.

:rofl::rofl:

No no, you’re doing a grand job here.

I’m just relieved that i’m in no way going to let anyone down this time next year. Absolutely not.

1 Like

by telling us the anecdote!!