Dawn FM

The first half of this is some of the best pop music I’ve heard in a long time, relentless hooks. Anyone else been listening to this?

4 Likes

The first 6 or 7 songs are superb. Tails away towards the end and that Lil Wayne feature is shit, but it’s the first Weeknd album that has really stood out since the mixtapes.

3 Likes

It does tail off but those peaks are so high. I hadn’t bothered since those early mixtapes aswell, but glad I did with this. Also, know what you mean about the Lil Wayne bit…

All bangers all the time

1 Like

This is so so so good. Don’t think I’ve listened to a full release of his since them EPs 10 years ago but this is great.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s great. I thought the last album was pretty good too but this ones even better

2 Likes

That big rave up near the end of Take My Breath… Owff

2 Likes

I can completely ignore the slower stuff, but the full Moroder bit on Take My Breath is incredible.

2 Likes

Went back to After Hours on the strength of this, and it is also good. I am glad to hear him properly back on form for full length albums

2 Likes

I still think After Hours has higher highs and the better standalone tunes, but Dawn FM works far better as a cohesive whole. It just flows really well and the concept story really enhances it.

I didn’t think much of Take My Breath as a single (he’s already done that sort of thing better before) but the expanded album version absolutely bangs!

Finishing the album with Jim Carey reciting a poem sounds like the worst thing imaginable… but it’s absolutely stunning and adds a bit of gravitas that genuinely enhances everything that came before it.

The downside is that there are no tunes that I am desperate to relisten to once it’s done (other than Less then Zero which deserves to be a huge hit). Hoping it’s just early days and they’ll grow on me…

1 Like

I totally didn’t twig that was him :smiley: just thought it was some bloke called Jim

It also took me to watching the video to realise Take My Breath was very literal. lol. I’m so innocent.

1 Like

So good. Never really spent any time with his records before but have been rinsing this.

1 Like