DC Films and Comic thread inc Snyder Cut take

Feck him!

1 Like

Counterpoint:

:wink:

1 Like

Ahead of its time, innit? Was a few more years before the Amiga and ST started to give us games that looked like that :smiley:

2 Likes

Gunn wrote the Scooby Doo movie. He can do bright and cheerful.

2 Likes

The Scooby Doo film isn’t so much bright and cheerful as it is really awful

For what it’s worth. I think binning the synderverse is probably the best way forward for DC.

God knows where it leaves the flash movie.

I don’t think his ability to do bright and cheerful is in doubt after GotG, it’s more about the fact DC seem intent on Superman properties not being bright and cheerful.

(Unless that’s the joke etc.)

1 Like

Well, Gunn understands comic culture a lot better than Snyder so hopefully we can have a cheerful super-man film that isn’t just him punching bad guys through buildings for two hours.

2 Likes
4 Likes

I’ve just watched Black Adam.
I think I’m angry, but I may just be bored. I’m not sure.
Meh.

1 Like

Whoever greenlit $200 million budget for that definitely up there for worst film business decision in recent years

2 Likes

James Gunn already preparing a ‘Black Adam died on the way back to his home planet’ title card for the first DC film made on his watch

4 Likes
2 Likes

Moving Shazam 2 from Christmas just gone to March 2023 seems like a pretty daft move - coming out the same time as Avatar 2 would still have been a better idea than now where it’s coming out the same month as Creed 3, Scream 6, John Wick 4, 65 and Dungeons and Dragons (plus Ant-Man 3 and Mario out in late Feb/early April respectively)

Wouldn’t be surprised if it gets moved again, they’re still pretending they’re releasing four films this year and that’s not gonna happen, but it does mean there are release dates going.

1 Like

Really fascinated to know what incredible plots they’ve got lined up for this 9th instalment. I enjoyed the first one but mainly from performances. I had to tap out of the 2nd due to it feeling like a really weird re-run.

Now I’ve seen these four DCEU films:

Shazam 2
Flash (oh shit)
Blue Beetle (who?)
Aquaman 2

They really are in disarray aren’t they? The sacking again of Cavil and The Rock shutting up the Black Adam shop implies that’s it on the DCEU front with Gunn in charge so are they just putting these out because they’ve been made?

If so that seems to go against all the ‘cutting financial losses’ reasoning they gave last year (?) when they canned the Batgirl and Scooby Doo films entirely.

Thought the 2nd was pretty well done tbh as the ‘sins of the father’ angles and the diff dynamics between the Dragos and Creed/Rocky was interesting. Plus Creed has his home life changing and Rocky has his cancer battle.
I love the Rocky/Creed movies tho tbf.
Interested to see what they do with this 3rd one, especially with Stallone declining a return apparently.

No idea if the movie will be any good or not but I do like Blue Beetle. Both this and Batgirl were originally intended as direct-to-streaming which makes BB’s upgrade and Batgirl’s canning seem even more arbitrary and weird.

3 Likes

I mean I don’t really know the series well so maybe that was why it bounced off it. To me it just felt like the same sort of stuff these kinds of films go with plus with a huge amount of referencing of shit, the like of which I have only seen in stuff like Kenobi and Solo: A Star Wars Story. As a big SW fan I can live with that (even if I’m not wild about it) but since I’m not captain Rocky Cinematic Universe I guess it doesn’t land.