Deafheaven - Ordinary Corrupt Human Love

blackmetal

It really is. It feels like a long time since I’ve been this excited about discovering a band. They’re somehow both exactly my thing and not my thing at all, so it’s extra exciting. Pretty mad at myself for not having given them a chance until this past July, I’d always assumed I’d never be able to get past the vocals and didn’t even bother trying.

Between the new album and now New Bermuda, it’s almost in a way like finding more Lift Yr Skinny Fists. They have that rare quality where I love them but don’t ever want to get too familiar with them because I always want to be surprised by moments I hadn’t thought about in a long time.

2 of the best live sessions on YouTube I reckon

I find this album really disappointing, for me their albums have been a case of diminishing returns. I loved Sunbather and was obsessed with it for weeks when it came out, I was therefore excited for New Bermuda and enjoyed it but it didn’t grab me like Sunbather did. I’ve listened to this one three of four times since it came out and I find myself getting bored of it before it’s half way through, it just doesn’t seem to go anywhere. I’ll give it one more listen before I build my end of year list but I can’t see it being very high if it appears at all.

Almost certainly going to be my AOTY. I think it’s great. FWIW I prefer New Bermuda to Sunbather, and Come Back was their greatest song until Honeycomb

Fully agree on New Bermuda and Come Back remains their greatest song for me. The transition from metal to clean guitars to that slide guitar part hitting to the end of the song is one of the most satisfying few minutes in recent music history.