Debut singles that really kick things off

Neither is a very good song.

Arab Strap - The First Big Weekend

14 Likes
1 Like

Gripping from their first moment.

1 Like

This blew my mind when I first heard it and started what I still think is the greatest ever sequence of career-starting singles (Upside Down-Never Understand-You Trip Me Up-Just Like Honey)

6 Likes

Not a fan in general but it’s Blitzkreig Bop

1 Like

The correct answer is:

4 Likes

Excellent choice!

1 Like

Yes they did start very well and remember when the independent chart was a thing.

4 Likes
7 Likes

This would be my 2nd choice.

Saw PSB play the Royal Opera House last year. It was ridiculously good fun. Tennant has a very waspish sense of humour.
On the way out, there were three men walking ahead of me - one of them was noticeably younger than the other two. The younger one said: “They were good, but I didn’t know that second song. What was it?”
One of the others pointed out it was West End Girls…

Ha I was at that gig too, they’re always so good live, even more so now than they were in the 90s.

You’ve got to have a lot of confidence (and budget) to pull of a show like that… I’d not seen them live before, so it was quite the introduction.
I just felt quite old on the way out when the kid didn’t know WEG. In my head I was jumping up and down shouting “How the fuck have you never heard of their most famous single?”

1 Like

Was it their first single though? I thought I heard that they had an earlier single, “Let’s Make Lots of Money”, that was only a minor hit. Certainly West End Girls was the breakthrough.

Are you thinking of Opportunities (Let’s Make Lots of Money)? That was out after WEG, I thought, but it might have been a rerelease.