December 2020 UK Politics Thread - Deal or No Deal?

It’s only 4pm, they’re asleep

1 Like

has anyone checked on gibraltar yet?

Looks rocky tbh

1 Like

I still think they are, and all along have been playing silly fuckers pretending they want a deal.

It helps massively they are able to rely on the press supporting this line of ‘we are being reasonable but Jonny Foreigner wants to steal our sovereignty and fish’.

6 Likes

And they call us snowflakes

3 Likes

Quite an interesting thread about the economics of Brexit

As has been stated elsewhere even an FTA would lead to significant loss of GDP

Also throwing my hat into the “there will be a deal eventually” ring

I’m not having this backsliding from you all. We’re clearly talking about a deal in the next few weeks. Of course there’s going to be a deal eventually, but we’re not talking about the one in five years’ time here.

[This post looks like I’m serious and angry, but in fact I’m flippant and angry so here’s a smiley face to soften it up :smiley: ]

3 Likes

@ me you coward

2 Likes

No worries, to confirm tho’ I think they’ll be a deal before the deadline of December 31st.

1 Like

Would you blow @SenorDingDong off?

• Yes
  • No
  • Already have

0 voters

Every response to this poll (regardless of option selected) is a lie

You think it’s the final episode, but it ends with a cliffhanger (hopefully Boris Johnson hanging by his fingertips off the white cliffs)

Clearly the ‘start blaming the obstinate EU for everything’ email has now been sent and has begun to hit inboxes this afternoon.

Can’t any of them, just one for fuck sake, stand up and say… hang on… we’ve ballsed up here.

I feel like that ship has long since sailed at some point in the last 4 and a half years…

It’s the Trump thing isn’t it? Complete inability to go “ooh yeah, actually, we may have made a mistake… HOWEVER here’s how we’re going to correct it and come out better yay!”. Like, that entire ability doesn’t exist in their psyche. Fucking hell I hate the lot of 'em. None of them truly give a fuck, it pays their mortgage and sets their kids up nicely, and bollocks to everyone else.

4 Likes

I don’t know how you’d feel about this analysis, but I would say that GDP and the national economy are actually collateral damage in this whole thing. The intention is to use the catastrophe to maximise returns for a very select group of individuals, whose links to the Conservatives and the Leave movement are all very well catalogued. It’s entirely rational to look at the GDP damage and think that any political party would do anything other than press on with this plan, but this would ignore the actual strategy here.

1 Like

I think it’s also to consolidate control of other sectors into fewer, but larger, companies and institutions.

Recessions always do this anyway, but Brexit is one part of a long-term strategy of corporate centralisation.

1 Like

As if any of them weren’t gifted their house by their/their spouse’s dad.

4 Likes

That’s a good point and something I hadn’t really considered. I do think that looking at traditional macro indicators and thinking ‘Why don’t they stop this?!’ is sort of whiffing on the rationale