December Film Thread (Old and New films welcome)

10 Likes
2 Likes

not seen Game Night but I’m imagining it’s something like Date Night, which I also haven’t seen, but with games instead of dates

1 Like

You’ve only just thought of this revolutionary concept?

2 Likes

2/5 and below are bad films
2.5/5 is a film too flawed to be good but with some high points, good ideas, a great scene or character etc
3/5 is something I actually liked and would say is worth a watch
5/5 like agg said requires that “something” that’s hard to put into words. I basically just treat it as the pinnacle of a genre - I’m not sure an action could be better then Speed, or a horror better than The Thing so top marks for them

@lastdino @badmanreturns Would Mank benefit from a Citizen Kane rewatch first, ya think?

Yeah I’d say it’s pretty necessary

2 Likes

oh thought you meant you’d finally learned your lesson about Haneke, never mind

1 Like

it’s a good point though; some people have to learn to give up on the pop-culture stuff despite everyone talking about it, and some have to learn to give up on the most artsy/challenging stuff if it just does nothing for them, despite the plaudits

ain’t taste a funny old thing

0.5 - No redeeming features whatsoever, hate it, probably pissed me off to some extent
1 - Bad but probably didn’t upset me beyond “wow, what a shit film”
1.5 - Pretty crap but ultimately forgettable
2 - Absolutely fine
2.5 - Either had high expectations and it disappointed or had low expectations and it surprised but not too much
3 - Pretty good, I enjoyed these films
3.5 - Good, I enjoyed these films quite a lot
4 - Great, I loved these films!
4.5 - Amazing, these films are exceptional!
5 - Perfect, these films elicit a visceral response in me that is memorable and sometimes life changing

3/5 and above - film contained Nic Cage
Under 3/5 - no Nic Cage present

8 Likes

Guardian’s top 10 films of 2020 doesn’t even have Uncut Gems in :frowning:

Forgot that was this year, it’s definitely my number one.

1 Like

about half way through watching it the first time i knew it was going to be number 1

was it?? completely forgot to add it to my 2020 Releases list, wow

By UK release date Portrait of a Lady on Fire is my favourite film of 2020 and it’s not particularly close

1 Like

I definitely need to watch this again. I feel like the trailer really misled me and I felt a bit bored by it.
The final shot was one of the best I’ve ever seen though and I loved Girlhood so it deserves another chance.

Yesterday I watched too many films:

Au Hasard Balthazar - French classic. Story follows a donkey and those that are a part of its life, mainly a young woman. Sad story very well done. 8.5/10.

White, White Day - Icelandic drama. A policeman suspects that his wife who’s dead had an affair. Enjoyed it. 8/10.

Strange But True - A forgettable thriller with Brian Cox, Greg Kinnear and Beadie from The Wire. Don’t bother. 4/10.

Murder Mystery - Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston. Didn’t mind it. 7/10.

Don’t Listen - Spanish horror film on Netflix. Spooky things and voices at a spooky house. It’s all done before but this film does it well. Worth a look into. 7.5/10.

My 2 faves of the year only made it to the teens.

Was everyone who thought Da 5 Bloods was that good watching a different film to me?

1 Like