December Film Thread (Old and New films welcome)

Hmm can’t really think of anything similar. Rather unique and have a feeling it’ll be in and out of my brain for a bit. The trailer gives waaay too much away…You can easily edit it together in such a way as to hide the reveals!

(Got a torrent link as it’s out in US, not in the UK until March)

1 Like

Where/how did you watch this? Wanna watch this weekend

Disney: We have tons of new Marvel/Star Wars stuff coming!
Me: Eh, that’s OK I guess
Disney: We also have an Enchanted sequel with Amy Adams
Me: …tell me more

Did you ever seen Blindspotting?

Yep, also watched this year and also absolutely loved.

1 Like
7 Likes

The Muppets smashed the shit out of George Bailey and Clarence in the last poll

What is the best film of 2020?
  • Da 5 Bloods
  • First Cow
  • I’m Thinking of Ending Things
  • JoJo Rabbit
  • Mank
  • Never Rarely Sometimes Always
  • Parasite
  • Portrait of a Lady on Fire
  • Other:

0 voters

I did a couple of swapsies from the Filmspotting Poll to account for UK release dates

(*pipped by one vote)

1 Like

Uncut Gems (unless Soul is better)

2 Likes
1 Like

Glad to see The Assistant high up there.

I haven’t seen most on that list. I’ll use that list and The Guardian’s to see remind me what came out this year and make a top 10.

Been meaning to watch Rocks for a while. I will do tonight finally.

From that list definitely Portrait of a Lady on Fire. Although not my favourite of hers, it’s Sciamma’s most accomplished film to date. Just perfect.

As if Jojo Rabbit was this year

The Lighthouse for me, followed by Colour Out of Space and Portrait Of A Lady On Fire

Honourable mentions to The Queen of Hearts The Ground Beneath My Feet, The Assistant, Sea Fever, Vivarium, Rocks, Possessor, Host, Les Miserables, Dogs Don’t Wear Pants and Lynn+ Lucy

I know it’s not ‘The Best’ but Saint Frances has been my favourite. The film I needed to see at the time I watched it.

1 Like

Recently watched these:

End Of The Century - A couple of blokes that hooked up 20 years ago accidentally meet up again but don’t realise until a little later. I thought that was pretty odd.
It was ok. Wanted it to be more believable. It’s an 85 minute film and there was no dialogue for about 12 minutes. Not a criticism just an observation. I’ll give it 6.5/10.

Emma - Anya Taylor-Joy was great in an otherwise bit of a flimsy film. I preferred Clueless. 6/10.

System Crasher - German social care finds it hard to a young girl with mental health issues and behaviour problems. The young actress was brilliant. A bleak film done well. 7.5/10.

Much A Do About Nothing - Joss Whedon’s updated version. Didn’t know it existed and wasn’t expecting the dialogue to be mostly original prose; I thought it would have been updated. Also, was expecting it subtitled but wasn’t which would have made my following of it easier. Despite all that, it was a pretty decent watch and oddly worked really well. 7.5/10.

Rocks - A young girl has to take care of herself and brother when her mum with mental health issues leaves them. A must watch and one of the best of the year. The two girls that play Rocks and her friend Sumaya nail their performances brilliantly. The film’s also uplifting with regards to the friendships between the girls and their group. 9/10.

Other films I watched:

My Spy - Daft fun. 6/10
Instant Family - Not too bad. 6/10
Message Man - Pointless. 2/10
Tag - Meh. 5/10.

1 Like

Had this one my list for about 5 years and still haven’t seen it

That’s the sound of Pieces Of A Woman removed from Netflix watchlists across the land.

Godzilla Raids Again (1955) was nice even if it was an obvious re-hash of the first one

1 Like

Maybe they can finally put the original on Disney+ down here then.

There should be a term for the ratio between a film’s Rotten Tomatoes score and the percentage of Google Users who liked it. I wonder what the most extreme example is.