December Film Thread (Old and New films welcome)

One good thing about the last few months has been seeing three films (The Searchers, Beau Travail, Being There) which are all contenders for ‘greatest final scene ever in a film’

1 Like

I cannot sing its praises highly enough. It’s also the most extraordinary use of music I’ve seen on screen in ages – genuinely breathtaking. The bonfire song is the best thing I’ve heard all year.

2 Likes

Desperate to watch before the DiS film of the year voting ends next week, but really want to watch with Mrs Forts…which isn’t possible until early Jan.

1 Like

I was there today for The Apartment. Billy Wilder was a bona fide genius and “Shut up and deal” is one of the great final lines. I wasn’t planning any more cinema trips this week but the timings work out for The Empire Strikes Back and The Midnight Sky tomorrow so might as well take advantage, I guess, given that Gremlins is now off the agenda next month.

yeah I really wanted to see The Midnight Sky there but have a full day of work tomorrow, absolutely gutted

1 Like

I reckon I’ve got just over 10 minutes between the two. TESB is a totally gratuitous viewing. I saw it there last week but, y’know, it’s so much better on the big screen.

1 Like

Films on Freeview this week:

Shoplifters (Channel 4) Dec 15th 01:05am
Prisoners (Film 4) Dec 16th 23:05pm
Bait (Channel 4) Dec 17th 02:10am
It’s A Wonderful Life (Film 4) Dec 18th 15:15pm
Drive (Sony Movies) Dec 18th 21:00pm
RAW (Film 4) Dec 19th 01:50am
Wreck-It Ralph (BBC 1) Dec 19th 14:55pm
Carrie (Channel 4) Dec 19 00:10am
Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping (Film 4) Dec 19 00:45am
The Death Of Stalin (BBC 2) Dec 20 21:30pm
The Big Sick (BBC 1) Dec 21 00:10am

10 Likes

Interesting to think that Wonder Woman 1984 will be only showing in Tier 2 or less locations in the UK, and is otherwise not available to stream.

Wonder if there’s ever been a situation before where a major tentpole hasn’t been available to view in the capital.

I’m going to watch this instead to cheer me up

2 Likes

that cheers you up?!

1 Like

Yes and no.

The yes part because it’s so awful.

If Giuliani and his fellow morons had that as the intro to his Five Seasons car park press conference it would have made both the best and worst TV of 2020.

1 Like

Sound of Metal is quite good but not amazing. Riz Ahmed is great, and the way the sound depicts his deafness is visceral and well done. I think it could do with some more stuff happening to justify being 2 hours long, but aye, it’s worth a watch!

Images is quite good imo

1 Like

American Utopia - great! But then I love Talking Heads so I was always going to love it I think

Never Rarely Sometimes Always was a tough but essential 2020 watch - so delicately and respectfully handled. Extremely admirable how certain stereotypes were avoided and other threads only slightly alluded toward. 99 times out of 100 you’d have a door slamming argument scene with her parents etc. Would also hold up as a film about obnoxious everyday sexism and could pair with The Assistant. Some exquisite moments of detail throughout and for such a soft and slow film with no true peaks or valleys the 1hr 40 absolutely flew by. Should end up in my top 10 this year.

3 Likes
3 Likes

I’ll be watching this asap now

Lot of buzz around this one

2 Likes

Good or bad? Don’t want to spoil anything.

My comment was actually a spoiler of sorts, so have blurred accordingly! But yeah, all the reviews I’ve seen have been of the “laughably bad” variety…

1 Like