December Film Thread (Old and New films welcome)

I’d agree with this. Using pussy in this sense over here is a relatively recent thing (as an aside, I think that part of the reason Fairytale of New York has only become controversial in the last decade or so is that no one here used that f-word back then, and it only got traction in later years)

1 Like

i was out for a walk at the weekend with an ATD and he mentioned that the night before he had watched his favourite film ever which was local hero to which i replied ‘somehow i have never gotten round to watching that’.
Anyway last night flicking through various options it popped up on the 4 app so thought i’d give it a watch.
Think i want the life of gordon urquart :slight_smile:

1 Like

Years of quoting the film has ruined proper pronunciation for me - I can only say “Ur-qu-hart” the same way as Mac now.

If you’ve not been, the beach at Camusdarach is well worth a holiday trip. It’s still every bit as stunning as it looks in the film.

1 Like

I did yeah, but for me that sort of symbolism to a film doesn’t add much rather than being an interesting quirk. Not a slight on @furryfan , I wish I had such a perceptive mind but aa with say Godfather showing orange when someones about to cop it, for me I can’t get much more from that then it being a moment where you just go ‘huh look at that’. I dont think thenfilm is poorly made technically but I didn’t think the story was told well

1 Like

haha funnily enough i was thinking to myself that once we’re done with all the covid pish i am going to take some time and do some more travelling up north. gorgeous country.

Watched these recently:

I’m Thinking Of Ending Things - Started off well. Enjoyed the lead characters in the car. Then I didn’t really know what was going on. Carried on watching until the end but was quite lost. 5/10.

Proxima - Eva Green is an astronaut in training for her first time in space. A mood film. Eva Green was good and it was good to see the woman from Toni Erdmann in this too. The relationship between the characters just wasn’t there for the viewer to sympathise with them. 6.5/10

Bad Words - Jason Bateman stars and directs an alleged comedy about a 40 something man that finds a loophole and enters a Spelling Bee. I saw it was made in 2014. The comedy would have been dated in 1984. Allison Janney and Kathryn Hahn’s talents are wasted in this. 4/10

Can I Use Your Phone? - A short 25 minute British horror film I found on Amazon. A bloke gets a knock on his door and is asked if they can use his phone. A phone invasion film. Impressive. Its budget was probably negligible and was probably filmed on an iPhone and really only has one bloke in it. Won’t be the best horror you’ve seen and average acting but for the budget etc. it’s very good. 8/10

Mank - I’ve seen Citizen Kane twice over the years. I’ve seen a few documentaries on Orson Wells on Sky Arts but never heard of Herman Mankiewicz before or at least his name never stuck when mentioned. Loved the film. I’ve seen it mentioned in reviews as potentially Oscar winning in a few categories with the irony being it’s a film about cinema and studios in the year without cinema. Beautifully shot. 8.5/10.

there’s no way this film is good. 4/5 from total film AND empire did make me laugh though.

The big film magazines backing big budget blockbusters. It’s understandable.

I’ll wait for a DVD release or until it’s on Sky probably until watching.

So they want to reboot Revenge of the Nerds huh? Well the original is pretty dodgy but maybe a reboot in the right hands could take out the problematic stuff and give a fresh take, who are they getting to reboot it I wonder checks

Seth MacFarlane…
:neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face: :neutral_face:

i found it engaging on more than just a technical level. part of the story i thought was done really well was the pivotal scene with leee’s music playing, a positive association for leroy while he sees a black policeman in an adjacent car, seems to influence him to join, making leee’s rejection of his decision all the more devastating. maybe that’s another technical thing, would say technique can be important for story, too though. guess the film wasn’t a major event type story, maybe mangrove was the only one like that.

See for me I thought the story was quite weakly done and didn’t portray why Logan us so important well at all. It even came across to me that the racists had won.

Having said that, I do think it would reward a rewatch

1 Like

I also watched Black Water: Abyss from the Black Water film series (yeah, me neither). It’s on Netflix. A crocodile bites good looking Australians who are also bad actors.

I turned it off after 30 minutes. You’ve seen what a low bar I generally have for film watching but this was extremely bad.

Watched the De Palma doc on MUBI, which was co directed by Noah baumbach

Very engrossing film which dispenses with much of his background to focus on the work

You kind of realise how many culturally significant movies he’s made, and even the bad ones seem like interesting failures

Some little titbits:

• He has a daughter named Lolita :grimacing:
  • He really hates Cliff Robertson
    -De Niro was bad at learning his lines
  • Modern action sequences are bad because of the effects pre visualisation (this makes sense)

I wouldn’t say I’m a big fan of his but I really like some of his less feted movies, M:I and Snake Eyes included. Although he’s often boxed in as a Hitchcock imitator I’d also say he’s reminiscent of one of those giallo directors as well.

2 Likes

The reviews are basically the same as for the first one. I don’t think there’s a conspiracy here.

also the Metacritic score is pretty much in line with most MCU films

1 Like

put this on last night, then turned it off when they were zooming in on boy’s corpses’ genetalia with Metallica playing over the top - seemed very distasteful

I watched American Made recently. It was fine but nothing special, notwithstanding the presence of our greatest living movie star, Tom Cruise.

Also watched The Last Black Man in San Francisco, which I really enjoyed. Started out with a bit of a heartwarming feel and I was worried it was going to be mega cheesy, but it wasn’t. It also features some beautiful shots of San Francisco. I guess some elements of the plot were quite predictable, but overall it’s a good watch.

I know it’s a pretty classic way to show San Fran, but that long distance shot of him shaking down that massive hill as the city sprawls around him? Properly stunning

1 Like

Yes, I loved that shot. I’ve spent some time in SF and always thought it was kind of overrated, but this film made me realise I probably need to look up more when I’m there. I loved the close ups on the amazing buildings.

Agreed - that has definitely aged poorly and is unnecessary. Those shots, and that crassness, is only in the first 5 minute and after that it doesn’t return

1 Like