Deep cuts by major artists

I really enjoyed the recent Elvis film (and I fucking hate Baz Luhrmann… go figure). I then watched an Elvis doc that sent me in the direction of this quite outstanding tune with Kitty White:

Loose concept for a thread, I know, but feel free to dump some songs from canonical artists in here - preferably tunes that might surprise folk who would expect otherwise.

Example: I love this tune from the Stones. Some not-quite-psychedlic soul stuff:

3 Likes

Not sure if this is a deep cut, but in a loose connection this is my fave Elvia tune, which I first heard on a weird hip hop mix tape:

4 Likes

One more, sorry. Maybe not such a major artist but this b side is my favourite thing by prefab sprout by a mile:

1 Like

There are probably hundreds of Pumpkins songs to choose from, but right now I’m not going to overthink it and start with Methusela. Somehow not even a b-side.

1 Like

Crawfish is dead striking, Kitty’s vocals are great, I love it.

The Beach Boys have some great stuff post Pet Sounds, All I Wanna do is lo fi, gauzy, a bit stoned and has a peach of a melody

Kylie did a song with Mum! I found this as surprising as I did lovely. Fluttery drums, strings and Kylie sounds great in amongst it

I don’t know how widely listened to Damon’s Dr Dee was, an opera about an Elizabethan occultist probably isn’t to everyone’s taste. I like it, there’s lots of examples of Damon’s more low key, melancholic side on there and this is one of my favourite songs he’s ever written

2 Likes

This is always the first one that springs to mind for me

Putting this on Out Of Time instead of e.g. Radio Song would have elevated it to masterpiece status

6 Likes

I’ll add in an SP2.0 one since so many people choose to think the band ended in 2000. Peace+Love was played during the 2007 residency shows but never recorded in the studio as far as we know. It’s very beautiful and moving. He still had it.

Out of time is such a frustrating listen. Bin radio song and shiny happy people and you’ve got an all timer

1 Like

Totally agree with RS, but SHP deserves to exist and for me is a great opener to side 2 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Could pick so many Bowie ones, but it’s worth picking a late career one for all those people who though that Where are We Now was the first decent thing he’d done since Ashes to Ashes

6 Likes

No one talks enough about the Bee gees Psych rock years…

2 Likes

This fucking slaps

2 Likes

Hundred Reasons’ best song wasn’t even on any of their albums!

Edit: Didn’t see the “major artists” part! Still, biggest of those post-hardcore Brit bands, so…allow it?

9 Likes

this is my favourite (and possibly the best) Lorde song - from one of her early EPs and not on albums. such a huge banger, crazy to think she was so young when she recorded this

3 Likes
1 Like

Always loved this early Blink 182 deep cut.

2 Likes