Deerhoof Listening Club

Hey-ho. Regrettably I missed out on the Deerhoof live listen thingy yesterday, but I was thinking that quarantine sitch would be a good time to get another of these listening clubs going and (for me, personally) a good way of filling in a few of the discographical gaps in my 'hoof listening.

As with other listening clubs: an album a week, possibly leading up nicely towards the release of the new one. At present, I have just the “main” albums (as below in a snippy snip from Wiki) but if anyone more knowledgeable than I wants to suggest any essential EPs, compilations, side-projects (I know there are shit loads of these), that live album, then by all means do so.

Before sorting some kind of a schedule out: interest-gauging…

• If I were a man and this idea a dog, I would throw a stick for it (YES)
  • Nah-nah-nah-nahnah-nah maaaaaate (NO)
0 voters
1 Like

As usual I may dip in and out for certain albums

2 Likes

I quite like a few Deerhoof tracks but have never given them a proper go. Seems as good a time as any.

1 Like

one of my atd bands :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

Aside from the odd track gave only ever listened to Runners Four and Breakup Song, well up for this.

So I’m thinking, would people be good to start on the 27th with The Man, The King, The Girl discussion throughout that week?

(very ideally, their back-catalogue is on BC, the GBOL - https://deerhoof.bandcamp.com/album/the-man-the-king-the-girl-remastered)

2 Likes

I can’t have it
The monster rabbit
:rabbit2:

Gore in Rut used to scare my cousin.

(I am up for this)

1 Like

Great idea! Best band.

The Green Cosmos EP is pretty essential too I reckon, released between Milk Man and The Runners Four and up there with both of them

3 Likes

Bunny jump
Bunny jump
Bunny
Bunny
Bunny jump
:rabbit2:

3 Likes

BasKETball
BasKETball
BasKET

2 Likes

rebound rebound rebound rebound ready, ok

3 Likes

:panda_face::panda_face::panda_face::panda_face::fried_egg::panda_face:

3 Likes

come

come see

come see the :duck:

5 Likes

Baseball is cancelled
E.T. is running late

1 Like

thank you for coming
get out now

1 Like

I think Satomi is trying to tell me something

Lockdown productivity

3 Likes

The Man, The King, The Girl

I’d only listened to this a couple of times before; and it sounds kind of like Deerhoof put into a blender. There’s their avant-garde side, their infectious pop song side, some of the textures on something like ‘Queen of the Mole People’ even hearken forward a bit to some of the more electronic elements of their later stuff.

It’s only 28 minutes, but there’s loads of ideas packed into a dense chaotic joysplosion. I’m curious how it would sound as a place to start out with – there’s that thrilling kind of catharsis and joy to all the noise and chaos, I feel, but if I cast my mind back to before I’d really gotten into Deerhoof, I can imagine me totally not getting it.

Just listened to the remastered version on Spotify. Does the original version sound like it was recorded in a big metal bin? Because this sounded like it was recorded in a big metal bin.

It’s infectiously chaotic stuff but I’m not sure much of it will stick with me. Did like Gore in Rut, Queen of the Mole People and Polly Bee though.

Yes Recorded in a big metal bin, is a good description , the album definitely has a unique asthetic. Very lo-fi but quite a few songs I enjoyed A-Town Test Site , Polly B , gold on black.

1 Like

I think The Man, the King, the Girl was the first album of theirs I got following The Runners Four. Haven’t listed to it in years.

Overall, it sounds like a chaotic and gleeful tin of biscuits. I like the moments of tunefulness that surface briefly amidst the noise. It’s a fun album to listen to, but I think maybe it was more fun to be in Deerhoof at the time than experience them as a listener :blush:.