Deerhoof

I haven’t clicked with a Deerhoof record for a while. Still one of the greatest live bands on the planet but nothing they’ve recorded has really worked for me in the last few years. (probably my problem)

I like them when they sound like they did on Friend Opportunity but then it’s never er quite as good as that was.

I’ll obviously check this out though

The Runners Four is still their crowning achievement for me, with Friend Opportunity in at a close 2nd. I really liked Breakup Song as well, but the last couple albums have left me a bit cold. New songs sound fairly promising though.

Yeah, same as others have said, they seem to be having a lot of fun and are still fantastic live but they seem to just bosh albums out now rather than really crafting them into anything cohesive. That said, for me there were a lot of really good tracks on La Isla Bonita.

I love more or less everything they’ve ever done. One of the most prolific and consistently excellent bands around.

What a truly incredible run of albums over 15 years this is: Reveille - Apple O’ - Milk Man - Green Cosmos - The Runners Four - Friend Opportunity - Offend Maggie - Deerhoof vs. Evil - Breakup Song - La Isla Bonita - The Magic

Last three albums in particular are still on constant rotation. (Green Cosmos, Offend Maggie and Apple O’ too.) :slight_smile:

WHEN YOU SAAAY IT’S ALL OOOVA!

So what’s everyone thoughts on this now it’s been out for a few weeks?

Yeah, same as others have said, they seem to be having a lot of fun and
are still fantastic live but they seem to just bosh albums out now
rather than really crafting them into anything cohesive. That said, for
me there were a lot of really good tracks on La Isla Bonita.

Expectations massively exceeded, I’m liking this new one a lot. A great mix of really fun bouncy Deerhoof with some wonderfully dextrous and intriguing guitar/drum work and the guest vocals all work for me in different ways.