Defend an awful celebrity who isn't quite as awful as people presume

Welcome to the boards!

Tbf this thread was brought about by thinking about whether seeing inherent good in people was either a beneficial or destructive idea. I think its good to believe in redemption in everyone…but am I minimising the hurt Clarkson causes by pontificating about his “saving graces”?

he is adorable though, just awful at the same time. I hated him the morning after Brexit but he’s somehow won it back a little bit

Was it the islamophobia?

16 Likes

While three people have now independently told me of first- or second-hand experience of Victoria Coren-Mitchell being a bit awful, I maintain that she’s an absolute delight.

I was asleep.

7 Likes

Was I one of them? Because I also have (second-hand) anecdotes.

Can either of you elaborate?

Yes. The other two have met her through poker.

1 Like

she’s the woman that presents only connect

6 Likes

Yes.

I really fancy her and she makes me laugh.

1 Like

Have a friend who worked in radio and met her several times. Said she was generally just rude and unpleasant.

Yeah, it’s cool, but it’s no Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

1 Like

Alright Ustinov, not too anecdotey please.

1 Like

I’m protecting my sources alright!

I just searched for “Victoria coren rude” on twitter…and the top result was Michael Winner moaning that she called him late at night.

So how did you guys meet?

If that’s not a mark on someone’s character, I don’t know what is.

Chris Martin seems like a nice chap. Is a penchant for strange clothing appendages really that bad? Reckon those strange baby names were Gwyneth’s idea too, he probably wanted to name them Bill and Susan.

11 Likes

its just his face and voice, something inherently magnetic about them. I’m not expressing any favourable opinions about the man, I have none, but there’s an undeniable charisma he has.

Really stretching the definition of “awful” here (I like Chris Martin/Coldplay)