Deftones (plus new Crosses in 2023)

This is nice, I always like listening to Chino speak. Genesis is SUCH tune. Absolutely love it

2 Likes

Just listened to the album in dribs and drabs while having breakfast and hiding in paperwork at work. It’s good but Genesis is the standout for me so far, so I hope it doesn’t overshadow the whole album on repeat listens. Nothing else has really grabbed me yet. Probably need to listen in one sitting.

1 Like

SO EXCITED

1 Like

Deftones gonna Deftones but that’s generally not a bad thing.

Sounds good on first play through…nothing really made me go WOW though.

3 Likes

This is great imo. Having a wonderful time

Really like it. Urantia and Radiant City the big standouts to me, but I always like an up-tempo Deftones chugger.

1 Like

That shredding riff! Love it

pretty much :smiley:

already better than gore, even if a bit more retread-y

Really enjoyed on first listen. Not reinventing the wheel, but still. Ohms is a great closer

Yeah! I wasn’t sure about it as lead single, but it really works with the rest of the album

1 Like

First listen - absolutely adored it. The Link is Dead is furious, might be my favourite first time around (apart from Genesis obvs)

1 Like

Such a nice feeling when one of your favourite bands puts out a new record after ages and it’s actually good

6 Likes

This absolutely fucking kills.

1 Like

I’ll be honest folks, i’m feeling a bit bored. This is all a bit ‘one note Deftones’ rather than ‘dynamic variant Deftones’ that I usually like. I’m most of the way through the album, and nothing has really stuck its head out of the slightly same-y sludge.

Will give it some more time, but this is the least i’ve enjoyed a Deftones on first listen since… well… ever.
:frowning:

2 Likes

Given it a few spins.

Really like it, but especially like Urantia, This Link Is Dead and Radiant City. Chugga chugga.

Much improved on Gore, which I’ve never really gone back to.

1 Like

Still think the best Deftones album this year was released by LOATHE

3 Likes

Really enjoying this.

Feel like it’s about time for them to switch it up a bit and experiment a bit more next time, though, and properly push themselves a bit. Getting a really leftfield non-rock producer in would be amazing, for instance: imagine Tim Hecker or Forest Swords or Ben Frost getting their hands on this sort of thing.

4 Likes

Tim Hecker Deftones would be a holy fuck incredible collab

4 Likes

Love it, I’m on my 4th listen today. Loads of synthy layers and riffs, it sounds more like White Pony and ATF than anything else since, there’s no bloat. I don’t agree with the comment about it being same-y sludge, it’s their most (whatever the opposite of sludgey is. Bouncy?) album in ages… Surely the riff in Urantia stood out?

2 Likes

Bouncy