Deleting posts from old DiS

Urgh.

Yeah, thought I’d said this already, but to be 100% clear, the new boards are not a problem from a functionality point of view, we have all.the facilities we need.

I’m not sure anyone thinks this anymore other than sean, and as they were a big part of his site, I can understand why he’d be attached to them (as a constituent part of the whole site).

agreed, but would say that at least some of the moderators were doing their best at the time (fully understand that some others were completely unsuitable to act in that role).

I might have not understood properly, but I think Sean is saying that by deleting the forums, all of old DIS might have to go too, which would include articles and reviews etc. This would obviously be a shame (people might also be using the articles they wrote for CV purposes etc), but I guess if the Community are fine with that then ok. Do think Sean’s feelings re 20 years of his work should be taken into account before making this decision too though (not suggesting that anyone is ignoring Sean’s feelings btw).

Totally agree that if the old forums can be deleted, without removing the old site entirely and without it causing loss of revenue to Sean (or if it did, the community accept that they would have to make up the shortfall), this would seem like the best solution.

I was 16 at the time I started posting and I cringe at what I used to post but also it’s pretty shocking what some of us had to put up with from other users.

1 Like

30 Likes

@AQOS potw pls

i need to change the past

3 Likes

thing is (and i’m not belittling teenagers here), but i’d imagine that when the boards were new, those moderating were teenagers themselves. i certainly know my friends were on other boards. asking a 15 year old to have that maturity of thought to know exactly what is and isn’t acceptable on a public forum is quite a lot.

I don’t think any of the moderators were teenagers at the time. Early-mid 20s, I think.

Also, what was deemed acceptable on line and in forums has changed significantly as they’ve evolved.

OK. I should back out as it’s something I don’t know and shouldn’t comment on.

I’m happy to donate some time to help migrate old articles to a new CRM if they can’t be salvaged separately from the old boards

2 Likes

He.

Not my fault you’ve got an eyelash on your screen.

8 Likes

Yeah I was kind of thinking a little about the logistics of manually copying over all the articles and how that might work.

Would probably be a logistical nightmare organising it, but I’d happily spend a few hours copying content from one place to another - get enough community members doing that and and it’s all done, but organising something like that seems very difficult

:smile: :smile:

1 Like

Yeah I think I remember this actually. Not good

I’m so happy the mystery of the yellow blobs has been busted open. I was another who just assumed my phone was being a dickhead

It’s doing my fucking head in. Keep going to wipe it

Can someone pass me a wetwipe - there’s a smudge on my screen I need to clean off.