Deleting posts from old DiS

Whack site:drownedinsound.com in your google search

1 Like

We’ve got several years of history on the new boards now, and the community that you started is still here and still evolving. It doesn’t matter if we don’t have the old posts any more, the main thing is the community that we’ve got today

23 Likes

I upped my Patreon level, and I have a shiny ten pound note here which, if you squint closely at it, says “for the buying of sean and twentynine a pint at the earliest opportunity”

5 Likes

Can I come and ill chip in a fiver

2 Likes

YESSSSSS! Can’t back out now @Sean :beers:

1 Like

Thank you

Just keep my old posts in a golden gilded frame

2 Likes

I used to be keen on the idea of keeping the old boards, but I think it’s now been so long that I am happy for them to to go. There’s a lot of history on the new boards now!

Would love to see a list of the 100 most this’d posts of all time before they’re finally gone. Think there was one from icwar in the RATM for xmas no. 1 thread that was generally seen as number 1. Be interested to see the others though.

5 Likes

Is it that time of year to put some money in the metre?

Money sent.

1 Like

Narrator: It was not contentious.

Sean, every time you’ve brought this up the vast vast majority of users have told you to nuke the entire old forum. Just delete it. We’ll all be happier. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Yes. But I’ve also had DMs and emails. Especially from people who have lost loved ones who posted on here.

1 Like

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/54237089/i-say-we-take-off-and-nuke-the-entire-site-from-orbit-its-the-only-way-to-be-sure.jpg

5 Likes

I don’t know how practical or expensive this would be, but would it be possible to offer people in that situation a hard drive with selected threads or posts that they keep going back to as a reminder of their loved ones? It would be a shame if they no longer had access to that at all.

2 Likes

Agree with the above - get rid.
Also want to say thanks to @sean. For fear of sounding like a sentimental owd ghet, you probably don’t realise how much these boards are a part of people’s lives. Yes, it’s probably 98% blathering about what we’re cooking for tea/how to cut a pizza/twats on bikes but it is an important thing. And the 2%, stuff like the MH threads, has probably had a very very significant impact on lives. Very significant
Cheers Sean

32 Likes

Looks like the old boards account for a tiny percentage of traffic (0.39% of the top ten), doesn’t seem like it’s worth the money, hassle or heartache

It wasn’t always a great place either - the boards have become so much nicer since the move to Discourse. Whether that’s because the new system allows for easier moderation, greater user accountability etc or because users have just grown up a bit is debatable ofc

It’s better here and I’m not sure much would be lost without the old board. The best bits (weird meme culture, 5-a-side, AQOS) are here already, leave the toxic sexism and all that in the bin where it belongs. Pull the statues down!

3 Likes

love that one of the first replies to that social thread is bumsra asking for the thread to be deleted

2 Likes

I have every sympathy for people in that situation. However maintaining an expensive board that has ceased to function is not sustaininable longer term. I don’t know how Wayback machine works but is it possible to allow those people access to the archived material they’re interested in? Or otherwise capture a few key threads for them like @blimeycharlie suggested?

3 Likes

The way back machine on the Internet Archive will store everything, hopefully.

Bless you and thank you for saying this.

TBH, I’m well aware that even a human interaction about what you’re having for tea can be as helpful to mental well-being as the MH threads. Don’t ever underestimate what you all do for eachother, collectively. These boards are a manifestation of everyone who invests themselves in them, they’d just be lines of empty code otherwise.

24 Likes

not sure on how archiving works on wayback machine, but I was trying to browse another forum this weekend, not all pages of every thread were cached