Did you know this about your passport expiry?

Just seen this and I assume legit

Sorry in advance for an extra long winded status!But anyone travelling abroad soon please read🙏I’m putting this out there to help anyone who might be like us and totally unaware of this

So today we were all checked in at Newcastle airport to travel to Palma. We headed to the gate to board the flight and handed over our passports, to be told we couldn’t travel because my passport was out of date 😢!!

Now if you’re like us you’ll probably think the same that 6 months or more is adequate for travel. However this is NOT the case!! If you look at the expiry date on my passport, it expires in April next year, or so I thought. But under new Brexit rules you now need to count from the issue date, taking away any “add ons as the airline put it” meaning my passport had actually expired.

The staff said they’ve turned away so many as people don’t realise but it’s your own responsibility to check the Gov website and that the links are on their website!

The biggest thing is though I have:

*checked in online with those passport details

*completed the government forms with those passport details to be issued a QR travel/entry code

*paid and had PCR fit to fly tests with those passport details

*ordered the Day 2 test kits arriving on Monday with those passport details.

And not one of those entries has flagged this information up 🙈

Families in a far worse position than us losing full holidays and ours was only a weekend, but absolutely gutted to say the least and so disappointed we couldn’t get there to surprise our friends. Would hate it to happen to anyone else. So everyone check your passports and check the Gov websites etc….Myself and many others had to learn the hard and expensive way today

I’ve just checked mine and it was issued in March but expires in Sept but under new rules it actually expires in March

Luckily its March 2025 so fine but could catch people out

has this been documented? first i’ve heard of it

I don’t understand what this means

3 Likes

What are the new rules then?

My last passport expired in sept but i renewed it in march of the same year

i then got a new passport and they let your new one expire in sept

But its over 10 years

for some reason with brexit we now have to count 10 years from start date rather than looking at end date

So essentially you now have 9.5 years from the start date rather than six months before expiry?

2 Likes

from the gov site

Passport validity

We recommend that on the day you travel you have at least 6 months left on your passport. This allows for:

• travelling in Europe for up to 3 months (you don’t normally need a visa for the first 90 days in every 180 days of travel)
  • the requirement from most European countries to have at least 3 months left on your passport on the day after you leave

Your passport must also be less than 10 years old on the day after you leave. If you renewed your current passport before the previous one expired, extra months may have been added to its expiry date. Any extra months on your passport over 10 years may not count towards the minimum period needed.

when you renew your passport you could carry over a certain amount of time to the new one.

ie if your old passport was still good for three months when you renewed it then the new passport would be [standard length] + three months

1 Like

What’s even the point in the expiry date if it’s useless months before it? Passports are a scam. OPEN ALL BORDERS.

8 Likes

This has reminded me that I really need to get the Irish passport application started though, so thanks for that.

5 Likes

ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US

3 Likes

This is legit - it happened to one of my wife’s colleagues the other week, she sent her family on without her then had to shell out £100s for travel from Scotland to London for an expedited passport renewal and a new flight to [wherever they were going, I wasn’t that interested to be honest]. Pretty fucking rubbish.

2 Likes

Need to look out my gran’s death certificate and stuff I think, honestly, the hoops you lot make us jump through for citizenship.

Brexit & Covid has meant there is a MASSIVE delay in processing so get it in soon as you can

Do you not keep all your relatives’ death certificates on you at all times? We all do that here.

12 Likes

We keep them with the corpse over here, you wouldn’t believe the drama involved in getting a hold of them for stuff like this.

1 Like

Yeah not expecting it to be sorted any time soon, just need to get the ball rolling on it.

GET YOUR BLUE PASSPORT NOW

alright, dua lipa

1 Like

Why do people have such variation between dates on their passport?
Mine was issued March 2013 and expires March 2023, thought exact 10 years was standard

Take it this will be alright for travel in November though

:point_down:

EDIT: I should also add that it was pretty common practice to renew before the previous passport expired because:

3 Likes