Did you know Turkey changed its name to Türkiye a few days ago?

If it wasn’t for Pointless I’d be none the wiser

1 Like

That’s the one (as far as I know).

I remember when living in Australia and visiting NZ a lot being surprised at how many aboriginal names were pronounced exactly how an English-language interpretation of them would be.

This was the response from my #TurkishMate

I think this us just another attempt to change the agenda/topic from what actually matters, the financial crisis. We have this kind of bullshit like every second week. It works as a minor propaganda for internal politics, but its effect usually last a few days. For example they converted Hagia Sofia to a mosque, it was on news for a week. Now nobody cares…

4 Likes

pretty cool idea to revert to the proper name, as long as they live up to making it more than just a surface thing

which I would have thought they’d be doing, perhaps?

1 Like

Yep mine came back with similar

1 Like

Was about to reply with something really boring about how Czech Republic/Czechia is used in the UN system and how it differs from everyone else but it was too boring

I read a bit about Czechia and there were a few things about it I found quite interesting :slight_smile:

I heard about this from a cat group I am in. (Istanbul has a large feral cat population)

5 Likes

WHAT

1 Like

Got them going up escalators and everything

1 Like

You know they have escalators in other cities right?

4 Likes

probably just greece

Does this mean thw Turkish shop at the end of the road, that’s always rebramding, is going to have to rebrand again?

1 Like

2 Likes