Did your parents/grandparents used to

…answer the phone with the last few digits of their phone number?

As in, “3452, Blanche speaking…”.

Very occasionally i have to ring a residential customer for work who still does this and it always slightly brightens my day.

GARLIC BREAD?!

Just got the sudden urge to have some chopped up banana in carnation evaporated milk

5 Likes

A choc-ice which pretty much only tastes of wet paper.

9 Likes

My uncle used to (might still), I agree that it’s a good thing.

When I were a lad the standard was:
City/town + number (without dialling code) e.g. “Derby 362959”

2 Likes

Yes i’d love some cornbeef hash thanks.

2 Likes

9 Likes

They did not. However, they did have a dog that would knock the receiver off the phone when a call came in and would then bark the house down until someone came and talked to the caller.

7 Likes

Do you remember the controversial extra digit being added, think it was in the early nineties? Signmakers must have made a bomb.

Even now i very occssionally see a shop sign with an 061 number.

3 Likes

My sister went with 'What it is?" like Prince in Under the Cherry Moon.

2 Likes

Absolutely they did. I can still hear my granddad doing it <3. My parents used to too, doubt they do anymore but haven’t phoned them in a few years, so not really sure.

“BATTERSEA DOGS HOME”
“Eh?”
“Ahhhhhhh, only joking, it’s ME”

3 Likes

I can remember my mates from when i was 12 phone numbers but don’t know any other phone numbers

My parents did, my grandparents did, and I did.

Hello, Royston Vasey 4444244

1 Like

Obviously the correct way to read a landline number is three numbers then four numbers, or for a number further afield four numbers, three numbers, four numbers, nobody would dispute that. Anybody who thinks a five digit area code is a thing is a pie-eating heathen.

1 Like

Might start doing this with my whole mobile number.

It’s four, mate.

I do this