Dinosaur Jr thread of appreciation

Have read quite a few negative accounts of J from people who’ve worked with him tbh (more so in the 90s though - maybe he got better?). Have to say that Lou seems like a passive aggressive douchebag as well though. Like J’s songs better so I’m team J overall

1 Like

Absolutely, but that was five years ago, think things must have thawed by now or they’d go mad.

In other thoughts, just remembered this song, much as I love the really comfortable lane that dinosaur have settled in I wish they’d mix things up, work with other people. It would be a massive stretch for j to produce a whole hip hop album but I’d love to lock him and someone like Freddie gibbs or Ka in a studio for a week and see what happened…

1 Like

was 10 years into the reunion though

One final unconnected pondering… how does lou manage to get his bass style sounding so good? In the early days at least he’d play like a second guitarist and strum away furiously but every time I’ve tried to play chords or anything close to his style on a bass it sounds terrible. What’s his secret?

Blimey have they been back so long? Goodness me.

1 Like

Yep, I saw them at Reading in 2005!

1 Like

I’d have thought it’s more recently if I didn’t see this ever day

2 Likes

I could have told you it was coming up to 16 years as well, as I’d been awake for over 48 hours when I rocked up at that first night after becoming a new dad on the 6th. I got pissed on a couple of pints and can barely remember the gig

2 Likes

Bass player here who has played chordally for years. I know a lot of the time I’m just using the root note and the major third above it. I avoid open strings and try to avoid going too low down on the E string. Lou has an amazing degree of precision with his right hand though, always really impressed by that and it is hard to emulate.

2 Likes

reckon it might be because the whole band play at such volume it just blends into the maelstrom

1 Like

Plus every time I see Dino play, Murph is getting slower and slower.

Saw them once with Kyle Spence on drums covering for Murph and they played so much faster, it was great.

Doesn’t J play all of the drums on the records as well?

Think he lets murph drum but he writes the parts and doesn’t let murph have much input, j drummed on green mind and maybe some others

1 Like

Think J drummed on all of the 90s albums apart from Where You Been. Murph is (or at least was) a better drummer too. Must be pretty frustrating

1 Like

yeah, i’m not a fan of J’s drumming, not that I think it is bad but it just has too much of J’s style in it. Like when he plays guitar, even simple stuff, it is very distinctive, not sure what that is tiny differences in timing and emphasis, but it is like his drumming is the same as that, so when it is him on guitar and drums it has a one dimensional J-ness to it, whereas when Murph plays it brings something different even if he is just playing the same parts

2 Likes

Was that the tour they did with Built to spill? If so, that was the best I’ve ever seen them.

2 Likes

Yeah. Amazing tour

1 Like

Saw them in 2017 and they all played at a blistering pace, was amazing!

Probably had this chat before, but I was at that show but left via the fire exit at the end and missed the merch table. Two of my mates arrived at the pub after and had bought that print - I was gutted.

One of them then popped it on the ground en route to the tube to wee in a bush and accidentally pissed all over his, the others was whipped from his hand as a tube pulled into the station. :grin:

3 Likes