Dinosaur Jr thread of appreciation

Sad to report the documentary didn’t really do it for us or my mate

I did not catch any anecdotes from J.

Not even sure he croaked out more than 50 words!

It does mention the band dynamic it just doesn’t really ask anyone to explain it.

I think any Dino Jr fan should watch it, just lower expectations of getting much meat beyond fun live stuff

1 Like

even now?

Picturing J in a suit for the Dinosaur Jr quarterly business meeting and cracking up

1 Like

The documentary very much makes it sound like they’ve all made peace but yeah, possibly as they weren’t really big buds in the first place they don’t hang out as mates.

It’s a pity the doc isn’t a bit more interesting, but I guess they’re never going to do a “warts and all” discussion as none of them really want to go over the past. It’s pretty telling that J rates Bug as their worst album: not because of the songs but because of the experience in recording it and what was happening with the band at the time. They’ve always struck me as really dysfunctional - J is quite reserved and Lou is pretty emotional I guess. I remember reading somewhere that they don’t really speak and Murph acts as the broker for setting up tours/album recordings/practice etc. This is a great J interview - awkward, funny and revealing all in one:

1 Like

(Edit: Just seen the comments above, whoops)

Anyone seen the new documentary?

Screening at Picturehouses and indies this week. Tempted to go see it.

Yeah. It’s not great but I think if you saw it in a cinema that would help as you’ll get the proper loudness.

Just don’t expect to learn pretty much anything you don’t already know.

This is a problem with J’s brother in law (I think?) doing the documentary, far too safe etc.

That interviewer seems like a total prick.

Watched it at HOME earlier this week. Kinda enjoyed it but yeah, like Theo says it doesn’t really reveal anything or provide much of a comprehensive history of the band. Found myself laughing quite a lot at just how uncharismatic J is when being interviewed

2 Likes

went to see the doc last night, as a pretty casual fan. it was decent viewing but probably not a must-see.

Mascis just mumbles a lot and doesn’t really tell you anything interesting at any point. Lou is a lot more interesting though is largely discussing the stuff we already know, although it was interesting hearing his views on it now and saying they were right to kick him out. hearing Murph’s side of things felt like the most interesting bit by a long way.

brushed over the later albums a bit which is a shame as Beyond is my favourite, but i guess there’s not a huge story with those albums, just the reunion itself.

2 Likes

seems like a proper good egg

1 Like

Is this streaming anywhere?

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/dinosaur-jr-seventytwohundredseconds-live-on-mtv-1993-12-vinyl-ep/?mc_cid=1207e1cbc2&mc_eid=79c6bc567f

2 Likes

J Mascis “Great look, great vibe, great voice. Our A&R man dropped my band Dinosaur Jr one day, but not before saying, ‘Maybe if you had Liam as a singer the band would’ve gone somewhere and had some hits.’”

Sure i don’t need to say which Liam :smiley:

2 Likes

Just spotted this and was wondering why neither I or my friends had bought it already. Five tracks for £21 plus shipping? NOPE.

This post paid for by PROF$.

1 Like

Ha ha 100% same.

2 Likes

Dinosaur Jr have added a gig at third man records London on October 17. Tickets go on sale tomorrow.
Lou Barlow has also added a solo Dublin concert for Sunday October 9.
Maybe he will announce more solo gigs on this tour

1 Like

Thanks for posting about the Third Man records gig. I’ve been on the waiting list for the Kentish Town gig for months but haven’t been offered a ticket. Not much has come up on Twickets either. This is only 60 person capacity so I’m not getting my hopes up, but good luck to anyone here trying!

Glasgow nice’n sleazys on October 12 is also added to Lou Barlow solo shows on the tour. Tickets £10 on sale through the venue website now