Dinosaur Jr thread of appreciation

Beyond has what might be J’s most affecting song I think

:joy:

I know! I went back through the whole thread and realised I had. Sodding search…
I thought there was a flag if you were about to post the same link again? Or is that just on the desktop version?
Regardless, cracking tune.

For sure - great song. Actually prefer what you went with first though - think Get Me is their best tune and it’s one of my all time favourite songs

1 Like

Hot take time! Bug is vastly overrated by people rating upthread. If you take out freak scene there are barely any tunes to speak of.

1 Like
1 Like

this bit

2 Likes

this is J’s best voice mode, when it is kind of resigned

1 Like

That was my gateway into Dinosaur. 1993, the Late Show when they did the No Nirvana compilation on BBC2.

Get Me, featuring a bass solo, J playing a spangly telecaster with a mirror scratchplate, and just general ear bleeding country. Still the song I play most often on my guitar.

3 Likes

Similar era, for me it was seeing Start Chopin on The Word. Went out the next day and bought the 10"

1 Like

Really like this new one

2 Likes

Started this earlier. Thoughts so far:

Beyond is great, really stands up. There’s a real joy to it, like the three lads are happy to be playing together again. Hard to pick a favourite track but ‘It’s Me’ stood out this time, felt like something that could have been on Bug. Any of the first nine songs are great though.

It is slightly too long and it would have been nice to finish on ‘I Got Lost’, which would have been a lovely closer and change of pace.

Farm suffers again from it’s length and the songwriting definitely isn’t as strong. Both of Lou’s songs are poor I think. The highs are high though; ‘Over It’, ‘I Want You To Know’, ‘Friends’ and ‘I Don’t Wanna Go There’ are A-grade Dino. material. Guitars sound great across the whole album.

The next one Bet on Sky’s a proper return to form imho, probably the best of the latter day Dino Jr.

2 Likes

Roll over beethoven

2 Likes

Agree that Farm was pretty average. Never understood people preferring it over Beyond

1 Like

Just finished I Bet On Sky and it was a real letdown. ‘Pierce The Morning Rain’, ‘What Was That’ and ‘See It On Your Side’ are great but the rest of J’s songs felt pretty boring. Lou’s songs are dirt on this album, ‘Rude’ is probably my least favourite Dinosaur Jr. song now. Overall it feels akin to Without A Sound, some bangers but never an album I’d listen to the whole way through again.

I’m enjoying Give A Glimpse Of What Yer Not but just had to skip ‘Love Is…’. LOU BARLOW FUCK OFF

He’s so, so much worse than say, Spiral Stairs in Pavement. I actively hate Lou’s songs whereas I’ll tolerate and occasionally enjoy Spiral’s.

1 Like