DIS 2020 Album of the year - The Results

listened to 25/50

2/50 for me

Heard 31/50 but some of them are single plays based on seeing them in the polling and discussion threads.

1 Like

There’s more than you might expect of both of these. There’s over 200 one-pointers. I’ll list them if you really want. But it is just a long list of albums. My choice (Three Queens In Mourning) is on there, and I’d (obviously) recommend it - Bonnie Prince Billy covers by (amongst others) Alex Neilson and Alasdair Roberts .

There’s over 40 albums that were first on someone’s list and not mentioned elsewhere. Again, my choice was on this list (Hen Ogledd), and I’m slightly perplexed it didn’t appear anywhere else. It’s a flawed album, but not sure I heard much else this year with as much ambition.

Less well than I was expecting. If points for both albums were added up they’d have got 48 points, which would have put them 7th. But obviously that includes some who had both albums on their list so would involve double counting. Fwiw (Black Is) got a much higher average (3.2) than (Rise) (2.7).

I only picked them up at the very end of the year when they started appearing in other lists, but given another couple of months I reckon they’d have made my list. But as it was they only made the shortlist of you and one other.

A whopping 3 points for Sufjan this year, so not even in the top 150. A big drop from Carrie & Lowell which smashed it in 2015

1 Like

Whoops, that’s fake news (and I’ve left it too long to edit the original post). There’s actually nearly 50 one-pointers (200+ is the number of albums mentioned only once regardless of position).

They were very much the soundtrack to Lockdown I* for me - brooding lengthy instrumentals were perfect for walking around a deserted city :+1:

(*The Lovely Eggs when listening with the kids - they love them, and at least pretend not to notice the swearing…)

Last year my #1 was the DiS #1 (Big Thief). This year my #1 (Svalbard) don’t feature at all. I had been so sure they were going to “do a sunbather” and win a metal crossover audience :cry: