DiS Album of the Day Thread Day 30: Key Losers - California Lite

I saw Primus in 1992 when they were supporting Rush and was absolutely intrigued. Rest of the audience seemed a bit baffled though. Never listened to ‘Sailing the Seas’ that much but I loved Pork Soda.

1 Like

The heavy bass bit at 1:32 in Jenny Was a Race Car Drive and when he tunes his bass down towards the end of Tommy the Cat are up there with my favourite bits in music ever.

3 Likes

Love this live version of Tommy the Cat

2 Likes

I dunno wut people are on about. I think this Primus album is the tits, love it

3 Likes

I remember buying Sailing The Seas of Cheese back in 1991 after seeing a video for Tommy the Cat on MTV. Not heard it for years as the CD got nicked in a burglary in 1993 and I never replaced it!

I’ve messaged you a couple of albums @anon73286315, I had to change one selection as I couldn’t find my first pick on any streaming service (Prolapse “The Italian Flag”).

1 Like

Day 8:

The Residents - Animal Lover

The Residents - Animal Lover
Gentres: Experimental/Art Pop
Released: 2005
Submitted By: @Yesiamaduck
I love The Residents and unlike a lot of Residents fans, I like various eras of The Residents. The best era is obviously the original era but I personally believe that their early 00’s output was a bit of renaissance and ‘Animal Lover’ is my favorite from this period. More melodic and approachable during this time period ‘Animal Lover’ has some really beautiful melodies, the Kind you’d never expect from the eyeballs. I could’ve gone for Duck Stab, Not Available or The Commercial Album but because I think very few people on this board have listened to anything beyond the 80s from this band I thought I’d give this one the spotlight.

New album every day at about 5pm!
If you would like to suggest an album (can be anything at all) please PM me (max 4 suggestions) I will alternate between users as best I can! Feel free to include a lil text blurb about why you chose the album as well (though this is optional)

Discussion in this thread is ENCOURAGED (no no chat bullshit here)

All albums will be posted here, I’ll update the title when I’ve added an albumNew album every day at about 5pm!
If you would like to suggest an album (can be anything at all) please PM me (max 4 suggestions) I will alternate between users as best I can! Feel free to include a lil text blurb about why you chose the album as well (though this is optional)

Discussion in this thread is ENCOURAGED (no ‘no chat’ bullshit here)

All albums will be posted here, I’ll update the title when I’ve added an album

1 Like

Also yes, the album cover is hideous, please try to look passed it!

I guess you guys didnt :rofl:

Being the sexy no-rules-can-bind-me renegade I am so far I’ve only listened to St. Germain and Primus. The former of which I really, really liked, which came as quite a surprise. I hadn’t heard of it before and the description didn’t fill me with hope but I’m going to be returning to it in the near future.

I’d already heard the Primus album but I felt like listening to it again. Still bonkers, still good.

I’m going to listen to the rest, starting with the Residents because I’ve never given them much time at all. I will be skipping Counting Crows though. Life’s just too short.

2 Likes

I’ve no idea what I’m listening to here.

1 Like

U mean that in a good way, dont you :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I wasn’t entirely sure. I’m still not 100% positive tbh. I feel like I’m listening to the OST to a dark yet curiously shmaltzy musical. I…think I like it?

1 Like

Embrace it!

Need to catch up with the rest of these albums but about half way through Animal Lover and My Window is a melancholic beauty! And it was a pretty weird trip even getting up to track 8 - think I like this though!

2 Likes

Day 9:

The Cars - Candy-O

The Cars - Candy-O
Genres: New Wave/Pop Rock/Power Pop
Released: 1979
Submitted By: @Gert
New wave about as crammed with hooks as its possible for any music to be.

New album every day at about 5pm!

Discussion in this thread is ENCOURAGED (no no chat bullshit here)

All albums will be posted here, I’ll update the title when I’ve added an albumNew album every day at about 5pm!

Aye ‘My Window’ is a beautiful song, not the kind of song I’d ever expect The Residents to release tbh.

1 Like

No exactly! It stood out like a sore (but tender) thumb because of this but it was very welcome indeed.

This album is still the fantastic new wave pop ditty i remember it being. Not heard it for at least 10 years!

I’ve had their first one for a while and thought that was the ultimate pop rock record but then got onto this when researching Albums To Buy For Dad at Christmas and it blew me away - just relentless energy and catchiness

1 Like

Ear worms galore!! Head shaking, toe tapping brilliance.