DiS Album of the Day Thread Day 30: Key Losers - California Lite

Really like this ‘Akzidenz Grotesk’ tune, straight forward guitar jam with a weezer-ish type vocal arrangement. Very 90’s ish

Yeah its tough to listen to an album a day. I’m a bit of a nut so its right up my alley.

Pretty much my favourite song of all time :+1:

He picked Adore which has been taken off Streaming. I dunno when it went, I listened to it on Spotify literally a couple of weeks ago!

Interestingly ‘Animal Lover’ is arguably the most approachable Residents record because as you say it ends up very mellow which is the opposite of what used to happen before then. A lot of the rhythm and electronics are (apparently) basically renditions of mating calls of Frogs and Insects.

The Residents still tour a lot but they never have supports, I always go because I’m constantly worried this would be the last time I get to see them (the members of the band are realllllly old now. (They formed in 1971)

Dont worry about that, thats why the format is daily as people can pick and choose what records they listen to or just pop in this thread when they fancy listening to something but dont know what

Tis what this playlist is for

@NeilYoung luckily quite a lot of participants so far, more the 2nd week than the first

Also just a PSA to everyone, your pick doesn’t have to be niche or interesting. You can literally pick ‘In Rainbows’ by Radiohead if you want to, this album is more designed as a prompt for people to listen to something, maybe get out of their comfott zone and discover something new to them. Or just as an excuse to revisit an old album :slight_smile:

Really like the atmosphere of My Red Scare but not sure how much I enjoy the songs yet. But I can see it growing on me, because as I said I really enjoy the atmosphere, it’s a good headspace for me to be in.

‘Send for Me’ is really great

Doubt that, ha ha. There are a couple of disciples here.

Yeah, I decided to give everyone a slight break from Machina considering we’re going to be discussing it in detail soon with the reissue.

I think the day I recommended it, of course. There hasn’t been any talk about it which is strange, usually it turns into a fight on his Instagram Q&A.

Day 13:

Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You

Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You
Genre: Post Hardcore/Indie Rock
Released: 2001
Submitted By: @JoJoMarty
In 2005 my house was broken into and most of my CD collection was taken (still convinced it was the unpleasant chap who lived in the basement flat). One of the stolen CDs was the one in question. Somehow, losing the physical copy was sufficient to nearly erase it from my mind. I hadn’t thought of it at all until it came up on a YouTube recommended list last year. I duly hit play and had my mind blown all over again.
It’s a perfect black diamond of a record, both haunting and inspiring. Apparently recorded in the midst of alcoholism and interpersonal mayhem, it was the last record they released

Carnavas, an album by Silversun Pickups on Spotify

New album every day at about 5pm!
If you would like to suggest an album (can be anything at all) please PM me (max 4 suggestions) I will alternate between users as best I can! Feel free to include a lil text blurb about why you chose the album as well (though this is optional)

Discussion in this thread is ENCOURAGED (no no chat bullshit here)

All albums will be posted here, I’ll update the title when I’ve added an albumNew album every day at about 5pm!
If you would like to suggest an album (can be anything at all) please PM me (max 4 suggestions) I will alternate between users as best I can! Feel free to include a lil text blurb about why you chose the album as well (though this is optional)

Such a great album, somehow it passed me by until the end of 2013 but it instantly became a classic. I wish I could have heard it back then after knowing what came before so I could have been blown away by the departure.

I love the way they all lock in for the wordless chorus of Off This Century:

And the way the guitar is used to escalate the lurching bass line in the verses of December before it switches into an Afghan Whigs-esque progression for the chorus:

Ha, listened to this yesterday! It’s one of those records I try to like every few years but ultimately just keep bouncing off (see also: In The Aeroplane Over The Sea). Afraid yesterday’s go didn’t change my mind. Maybe in 2021…

Exactly this. Feel like every ingredient is there for a record I should love but it never seems to stick. I enjoy it while it’s on but I couldn’t hum a line of it when it’s over.

Now that’s just lunacy, but I won’t hijack the thread.

I hope this is on bandcamp

Day 14:

Merz - No Compass Will Find Home

Merz - No Compass Will Find Home
Genre: Dream Pop/ Indie Pop
Release: 2012
Submitted By: @TVDenimChap
Eclectic music on a floaty canvas of electro-folk. Psychedelic, expansive, shimmering and easy to get lost in. (Also, was really lucky to work with Merz on Thinking Like A Mountain, and he’s an extremely nice fella.)

New album every day at about 5pm!

Discussion in this thread is ENCOURAGED (no no chat bullshit here)

All albums will be posted here, I’ll update the title when I’ve added an albumNew album every day at about 5pm!

I actually remember this album and enjoying it at the time, haven’t heard it for years. Cant wait to give this (and Unwould) a spin today/tomorrow!

Think this is one of those albums where there is a bit of something for everyone! Discovered Merz when writing for Drunkenwerewolf and had the chance to review his Xynthia EP (would recommend that too). Then I got a chance to review this album, and got completely lost in it.

Highlights for me are Arrows, Judge, Toy, Goodbye My Chimaera and The Hunting Owl. Each track’s got its own twist on the dream-pop/electro-folk vein that runs through it all… there’s a bit of industrial, electronica, psychedelia, rock… but all without being scattergun. I think the ‘Alpine’ twist to the music suits this time of year too… the Xynthia artwork is very starry and snowy which in my head encapsulates the whole thing. Got a lot of time for this record.

Also missed it a few days ago, but big thumbs up for Carnavas. Lazy Eye and Waste It On are mega-choons. First gig I ever played, the band tried to pressure me into playing Lazy Eye, but I’d never used a loop pedal before and I put my foot down. We would have absolutely butchered it.

enjoyed this, songs segued well, solid voice. Nothing overwhelmingly great, but not near bad either. Nice neo-psychedelia on ‘judge’.

Day 15:

Leatherface - Mush

Leatherface - Mush
Genre: Punk Rock
Released: 1991
Submitted By: @LastAstronaut
Punk rock from Sunderland with the best cover of Message in a Bottle I’ve ever heard!

FAO Everyone:
If you want to participate please feel free to PM up to 4 albums to me and I’ll add you to the queue :slight_smile:

Revisted Merz today and though I coudln’t remember the album last night I remembered every single song as soon as they came on and sung a long. Very hooky album and whilst nothing special a nice comforting revisit with some well written psyc tinged pop songs. Have put the album back in my library so I can revisit again sometime :slight_smile:

IIIIIIIIIIIIIII WAAAAAAAAANNNTTTT THE MOOOOOOOOOOON

Love this album! Would have been huge if they’d been from SoCal and not Sunderland.