DiS Album of the Day Thread Day 30: Key Losers - California Lite

After loving their 2012 album and the Amesoeurs album, I gave this album a few shots and it never stuck. But I’m trying it again today and so far it’s pretty great. I’m up to Track 3, which strangely reminds me a bit of very early Modest Mouse in some ways. The main chord progression makes me think of Secret Agent x9 off of Sad Sappy Sucker.

I think they just needed to get their Slowdive obsession off their chest tbf. But even the lovely soaring bits just sound like the nice music that plays over relieved Masterchef contestants who are through to the next round to me.

2 Likes

Day 27

Fanfarlo - Reservoir

Fanfarlo - Reservoir
Indie Pop
Suggested By: @Pale-eyedBadger

Day 28:

The Smashing Pumpkins - Adore

Smashing Pumpkins - Adore
Dream Pop / Goth Rock
Released: 1998
Suggested By: @TAFH33

It’s at the very least tied for the greatest album of all time, but somehow I still encounter people who proclaim that it’s both an embarrassing failure and a techno album (both of which are ridiculous claims, obviously, and reveal that they didn’t even bother listening). It’s truly beautiful and has some of Billy’s best songwriting - the closing sequence in particular has never been matched or beaten by anyone.

https://open.spotify.com/album/7ysKTnHt4ve0MvIWm3vPdz

This was meant to be on here weeks ago but Billy did things, now its back
@TAFH33 I can never seem to @ u in the top field

3 Likes

It needs to be repeated how amazing that ending sequence of Shame, Behold! The Night Mare, For Martha, and Blank Page is.

1 Like

Decent album. Some very glaring new order nods but I love new order so hey ho. Not listened to it in a while but seem to remember some pretty duff lyrics. Might give it a spin later.

Losing appels & oranjies or however the mad bastard spelled it? Good tune that.

Would like to give this a listen but probably won’t be able to tonight. Iirc, some great ideas (possibly SP’s final un-self conscious album? Everything since had a sense of trying to return to an earlier sound on some level) but man, could maybe do with being a bit shorter

Just discovered this thread.
Have never listened to Adore.
Am in the process of investigating the pumpkins in a bit more depth.

A good place for me to start, then.

3 Likes

There are deffo times where i think adore is the best pumpkins, but thats usually before i remember how long it is. The highlights are incredible though, l think Pug is their most underrated song, its a choon

3 Likes

Yeyeye it’s got some of their best songs but probably isn’t their best album

There’s no shoegaze album quite like Siamese Dream

1 Like

Cutting apple and oranjes and pug? The 2 songs before them sure but not those 2

Tear might be the best one outside of the closing sequence.

Hate how there’s like no real drums, total rip off of creep

1 Like

‘Ava Adore’ Billy and Co.'s more digitized balladeer album than previous efforts. Not bad by any means, very solid. However, I prefer all three previous works to this one from the Pumpkins.

Huh, for what it’s worth I think that the pumpkins are probably the only band with such a large discography where every record is worse than the one before (starting with siamese dream obviously). Siamese Dream is obviously fab 10/10.Melon is good but a bit bloated and nothing since has been as good as that. Can’t speak for the most recent one because I haven’t listened to it but most of the post adore stuff sounds like ball hair in my humble (I still remember that bit on the other thread where people were being suckered into listening to heavy metal machine). I feel that the fervid championing of Corgan’s output this century, regardless of quality, by some users, is one of the most endearing things on this website and I just wished I cared that much about any media. I sit back now and wait to be told that all the dreck I’ve heard isn’t really dreck and I only think it is because of the fake news media and its evil globe spanning conspiracy against Billy.

2 Likes

On some days, ‘Adore’ is my favourite Pumpkins album. I absolutely obsessed over it when it came out, and still really love it now.

On most other days, Siamese Dream gives it a swift kick in its Gothy goolies and does a victory lap around the school yard.

5 Likes

My favourite for sure. The last run of songs from Shame onward are incredible. Never a fan of perfect or crestfallen though. Would swap those out for blissed + gone

I realise now reading this back it comes across as not really in the spirit of this thread and rather mean-spirited generally. Apologies; didn’t sleep well last night!