DiS Album of the Day Thread Day 30: Key Losers - California Lite

Aye ‘My Window’ is a beautiful song, not the kind of song I’d ever expect The Residents to release tbh.

No exactly! It stood out like a sore (but tender) thumb because of this but it was very welcome indeed.

This album is still the fantastic new wave pop ditty i remember it being. Not heard it for at least 10 years!

I’ve had their first one for a while and thought that was the ultimate pop rock record but then got onto this when researching Albums To Buy For Dad at Christmas and it blew me away - just relentless energy and catchiness

Ear worms galore!! Head shaking, toe tapping brilliance.

Little bit behind due to work travel, but yes Candy-0 a classic. Love me some cars.

Day10:

Seafood - When Do We Start Fighting...

Seafood - When Do We Start Fighting
Genre: Indie Rock/ Alt Rock
Released: 2001
Submitted By: @shinymcshine
Spunky, spiky and a bit shouty, but a bit more interesting than some of their contemporaries, I reckon.

New album every day at about 5pm!
If you would like to suggest an album (can be anything at all) please PM me (max 4 suggestions) I will alternate between users as best I can! Feel free to include a lil text blurb about why you chose the album as well (though this is optional)

Discussion in this thread is ENCOURAGED (no no chat bullshit here)

All albums will be posted here, I’ll update the title when I’ve added an albumNew album every day at about 5pm!
If you would like to suggest an album (can be anything at all) please PM me (max 4 suggestions) I will alternate between users as best I can! Feel free to include a lil text blurb about why you chose the album as well (though this is optional)

Opening bass riff on Cloaking is a monster (if I remember right, haven’t listened to this album for a dozen years - going to pull it out of the racks tonight!)

Heellloooooooooo

One if my all time favourite albums, glad to see it’s finally on Spotify. As you say it’s punky indie rock but more stuff going on than that let’s on (see People are Underestimated, In the light will you fight me).

Cloaking is an amazing opener and Desert Stretched Before the Sun is lovely. Still think if they’d been American this would be thought of as a lost classic and have articles on pitchfork about it.

HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

In This Light was always the big one live. They’d build it up and draw it out and go proper noisy. So so good.

One of my favourite ever records this. Pretty much the gateway that got me into noisy / arty / US style indie rock.

Didn’t realise this would be so loved. Thought it had more of a cult flawed classic element to it. But to be honest it doesn’t have many flaws, ha ha.

Great choice. My favourite band during my uni days. Absolutely rinsed this album when it came out and genuinely thought they would go on to more wider acclaim. Apart from the video for splinter getting a lot of air play on MTV2 (think they were playing in a swimming pool?) it didn’t really happen.

Did anyone get the special edition of this where it came with the bonus CD of demos and session tracks? Some of the versions on that were even better. It even had the added bonus of a great live version of Porchlight.

Thanks for reminding about this one :+1:

me and gert looking on with our neglected picks

Bloody love this album but Surviving the Quiet is their best imho.

I still have the residents and cars on my queue, work has been hell this week. Should we switch this to an album every week day? That way we can maybe catch up albums we may have missed on the weekend. Or just suck it up Brandon and get caught up?

Some day The Cars will get the critical reappraisal that they deserve and everyone will realise how amazing they are. Candy-O is just one amazing album by them.

Have been enjoying The Cars. Never got round to them and grateful to this thread to have a starting point plonked on my lap. Reminds me a bit of Roxy Music in places.

Suck it up