DiS Album of the Day Thread Day 30: Key Losers - California Lite

Yeah i know. It was more of a comment at the surge of replies Seafood got lol

1 Like

Been waiting for this album to be on spotify for years, i mean i have the cd, but thatā€™s so much faff and CDs always seem to skip in the rubbish players weā€™ve got set up. Gonna squeeze this into todayā€™s playlist.

1 Like

this is taking back to pretty much every support gig i saw in autumn 2001. Iā€™m sure they were on the bill with My Vitriol at the Anson Rooms in late October that year and Ash at The Rock at the beginning of December. they probably supported Mogwai as well. probably saw them at Reading that year too.

Day 11:

Silversun Pickups - Carnavas

Silversun Pickups - Carnavas
Genre: Shoegaze/ Indie Rock
Released: 2006
Submitted By: @TAFH33
For some reason neither the band nor this album seems to be respected. Iā€™ve found that I love shoegaze in theory more than in practice, mostly because bands focus way more on sound than songwriting, but this album is the exception. The songs are so tightly written and its noise walls are so carefully crafted and deployed for maximum effect that itā€™s an art form. Itā€™s one of the flat out most enjoyable albums Iā€™ve ever heard and there isnā€™t a second wasted.

New album every day at about 5pm!
If you would like to suggest an album (can be anything at all) please PM me (max 4 suggestions) I will alternate between users as best I can! Feel free to include a lil text blurb about why you chose the album as well (though this is optional)

Discussion in this thread is ENCOURAGED (no no chat bullshit here)

All albums will be posted here, Iā€™ll update the title when Iā€™ve added an albumNew album every day at about 5pm!
If you would like to suggest an album (can be anything at all) please PM me (max 4 suggestions) I will alternate between users as best I can! Feel free to include a lil text blurb about why you chose the album as well (though this is optional)

1 Like

Think Iā€™m ready to call it the best shoegaze full-length.

Dont go crazy, Iā€™ve always had a soft spot for this album but noooo

1 Like

I loved Carnavas on release and still sounds great whenever I come back to it. Another band with diminishing returns sadly, although I donā€™t canā€™t recall the one after Swoonā€¦
Saw them at the Scala when they toured this and it was truly elating. Their rhythm section is underrated too.

2 Likes

The only language I speak is off-putting extremes.

1 Like

Yeah, they kept getting glossier and glossier, and it really had a negative impact.

Definitely. One of my favorite moments of Carnavas is when that off-beat ascending bass line explodes into the noise solo during Waste It On. Itā€™s such an effective trick.

1 Like

Itā€™s kind of hard to explain, but it took me over a decade to realize how good the individual riffs are in Future Foe Scenarios because of the way theyā€™re used to support the flow of the song.

:Lazy Eye is still SUCH A CHOOOOOON M8

1 Like

Day 12:

Frankie Sparo - My Red Scare

Frankie Sparo - My Red Scare
Genres: Singer/Songwriter / Experimental
Released: 2000
Suggested By: @anon89873996
Sparo makes some unique gravel-voiced, languid, noir lounge jazz. The arrangements are sparse and full of room for the guitar to breathe and the oblique lyrics to linger and trail of like tendrils off smoke. The best album Constellation have ever released, other than maybe its follow-up Welcome Crummy Mystics . Produced by Efrim Menuck and with other Silver Mt Zion members making appearances, if you like this listen to the Arena Hostile EP which features more populated instrumentation from a radio session made when on tour with ASMZ.

New album every day at about 5pm!

Discussion in this thread is ENCOURAGED (no no chat bullshit here)

All albums will be posted here, Iā€™ll update the title when Iā€™ve added an albumNew album every day at about 5pm!

1 Like

@anon89873996

This is your only album choice, if you would like to retain this spot in the queue send me a PM with suggestions before the next rotation :slight_smile:

1 Like

Always wanting to make people listen to Sparo with little success, would love to know what people think of this. Excellent for a cold dark night, just fyi if you donā€™t have much going on tonight.

1 Like

Going to be diving into the last 3-4 albums ive missed on here tonight. Stay tuned.

1 Like

Working my way back, to start, really digging this Frankie Sparo. Never heard of the artist, down-tempo low fi post rock with a hazy Jason Pierce Spirtualized/Spacemen 3 vocal thing going on.
Sounds like it was made in a haze of drug induced pub crawls. Thatā€™s a good thing.

Going right to the Cars Candy-O next, as I love the cars and havenā€™t heard this disc in ages.

2 Likes

Candy-O. A. The cars are just one of those bands where the music seems so simple, but itā€™s deeply complex to me. Just such great catchy rock and roll songs. Just like they walked into the record company and we were like ā€œlisten guys we are simple, straight forward, but every tune will be a digital rock and roll gem straight ready for radio air playā€

Onto Seafood now, maybe Iā€™ve had too much to drink tonight but sounds like a British version of Incubus. Three songs in, hope it improves.

ā€˜Pleasure Headā€™ Fabulous track, improving indeedā€¦

Seafood. AHH see now this why you listen to full albums. Started out slow for me, but man did it improve with every track to finish the record. Great songwriting, can have your acoustical beautiful ballads 'Desert Stretched Before the Sun", to go right into gorgeous shoegaze territory with ā€˜In This Light You Will Find Meā€™ (loved the female vocalist singing quietly at first to belt it out at the end of track). Alt Country subtle spoken word of ā€˜He Collects Dustā€™ and the Tom Waitā€™s-y/ meets Animal Collective troubadour ā€˜Clouseauā€™ track to end.

Fantastic rec, will re-visit their whole collection.

On a side note, what a fucking VOICE the lead singer hasā€¦

1 Like