DiS Album of the Day Thread Day 30: Key Losers - California Lite

Apparently The Seafoods sang happy birthday to me at the Joiners in Southampton but I’d popped out to the bar, or for a piss or a drunken nap or something. Happy, but very hazy memories. Not listened to this album for a while- still stick on the mini album every now and again.

Good album. Nearly 18 years ago, crikey!

Heyyyy @colossalhorse and I appreciated both Animal Lover and Candy-O!!! Great albums.

Yeah I really enjoyed Animal Lover in the end.

Haven’t listened to The Cars yet but I’ll get to it.

I was 18 when it came out

:frowning: :sob:

Yeah i know. It was more of a comment at the surge of replies Seafood got lol

Been waiting for this album to be on spotify for years, i mean i have the cd, but that’s so much faff and CDs always seem to skip in the rubbish players we’ve got set up. Gonna squeeze this into today’s playlist.

this is taking back to pretty much every support gig i saw in autumn 2001. I’m sure they were on the bill with My Vitriol at the Anson Rooms in late October that year and Ash at The Rock at the beginning of December. they probably supported Mogwai as well. probably saw them at Reading that year too.

Day 11:

Silversun Pickups - Carnavas

Silversun Pickups - Carnavas
Genre: Shoegaze/ Indie Rock
Released: 2006
Submitted By: @TAFH33
For some reason neither the band nor this album seems to be respected. I’ve found that I love shoegaze in theory more than in practice, mostly because bands focus way more on sound than songwriting, but this album is the exception. The songs are so tightly written and its noise walls are so carefully crafted and deployed for maximum effect that it’s an art form. It’s one of the flat out most enjoyable albums I’ve ever heard and there isn’t a second wasted.

New album every day at about 5pm!
If you would like to suggest an album (can be anything at all) please PM me (max 4 suggestions) I will alternate between users as best I can! Feel free to include a lil text blurb about why you chose the album as well (though this is optional)

Discussion in this thread is ENCOURAGED (no no chat bullshit here)

All albums will be posted here, I’ll update the title when I’ve added an albumNew album every day at about 5pm!
If you would like to suggest an album (can be anything at all) please PM me (max 4 suggestions) I will alternate between users as best I can! Feel free to include a lil text blurb about why you chose the album as well (though this is optional)

Think I’m ready to call it the best shoegaze full-length.

Dont go crazy, I’ve always had a soft spot for this album but noooo

I loved Carnavas on release and still sounds great whenever I come back to it. Another band with diminishing returns sadly, although I don’t can’t recall the one after Swoon…
Saw them at the Scala when they toured this and it was truly elating. Their rhythm section is underrated too.

The only language I speak is off-putting extremes.

Yeah, they kept getting glossier and glossier, and it really had a negative impact.

Definitely. One of my favorite moments of Carnavas is when that off-beat ascending bass line explodes into the noise solo during Waste It On. It’s such an effective trick.

It’s kind of hard to explain, but it took me over a decade to realize how good the individual riffs are in Future Foe Scenarios because of the way they’re used to support the flow of the song.

:Lazy Eye is still SUCH A CHOOOOOON M8

Day 12:

Frankie Sparo - My Red Scare

Frankie Sparo - My Red Scare
Genres: Singer/Songwriter / Experimental
Released: 2000
Suggested By: @Flashinglight
Sparo makes some unique gravel-voiced, languid, noir lounge jazz. The arrangements are sparse and full of room for the guitar to breathe and the oblique lyrics to linger and trail of like tendrils off smoke. The best album Constellation have ever released, other than maybe its follow-up Welcome Crummy Mystics . Produced by Efrim Menuck and with other Silver Mt Zion members making appearances, if you like this listen to the Arena Hostile EP which features more populated instrumentation from a radio session made when on tour with ASMZ.

New album every day at about 5pm!

Discussion in this thread is ENCOURAGED (no no chat bullshit here)

All albums will be posted here, I’ll update the title when I’ve added an albumNew album every day at about 5pm!

@Flashinglight

This is your only album choice, if you would like to retain this spot in the queue send me a PM with suggestions before the next rotation :slight_smile:

Always wanting to make people listen to Sparo with little success, would love to know what people think of this. Excellent for a cold dark night, just fyi if you don’t have much going on tonight.

Going to be diving into the last 3-4 albums ive missed on here tonight. Stay tuned.