DiS Beer Wankers 2.0

It’s tremendously hypocritical considering their Elvis Juice name change nonsense, but it’s just a big company acting like a big company.

Some people on Twitter seem to think this is the start of a major BrewDog backlash, but I don’t see it. The number of people who are happy to buy BD beers as a craft option in the supermarket dwarves the number of people who take an interest in their marketing strategy. If anything does them in, it will be their overstretching investment in the US and similar.

Had a can of Lervig Tasty Juice on Sunday eve - then ended up having one on keg from the pub as well.

I really like it - very orange

west coast IPA - I think I had it in the tap room last year. it’s really good (all their beers are good though tbh)

Haha what a shit show

https://twitter.com/BrewDogJames/status/846298572840677376

Clear panic there. “Our lawyers went rogue, honest!”

I think you’re right that it won’t be the start of a major Brewdog backlash. Perhaps in the fairly small, well-informed beer-wanker community, but Tesco aren’t going to stop stocking them, and they’ll continue to be the ‘craft’ beer of choice for many on those terms.

I think I view them as a gateway drug into craft beer now. Going from shit-lager, to an easily available craft beer like Brewdog, to eventually spending far too much on Eebria because there’s a limited edition brew in a fancy new can and discussing it on a forum. And there’s always the view that a rising tide lifts all ships etc.

1 Like

Been ill for a bit so not drinking. Saw a lovely zelda craft beer meme on instagram but can’t find it now.

IS CRAFT BEER DEAD IN 2017?!

Getting on the outside of these tonight.

On a school night?! OYOY!

9 Likes

Yep - Pack up the thread and pour your brews down the sink everyone!

Remember craft beer? That was fun while it lasted.

1 Like

As the resident BrewDog employee on this thread, I’m just gonna copy my thoughts from a thread on Facebook here…

FWIW, think we’ve totally come across as dicks about this, but understand the reasoning behind it.

Our marketing has always been hypocritical shite, BrewDog aren’t “punk” and never really have been: we’re just a hugely successful craft brewery that generally knows how to play the consumer and (fortunately) make good beers. When we do something like this it obviously jars given the bluster from our PR machine, but we wouldn’t have been successful without protecting the bottom line.

Anyway, James has now made an vaguely embarrassing backtrack on the whole thing, the pub has a shitload of free publicity (and some free cases of booze) and BrewDog get to turn around and blame it on the nasty lawyers whilst simultaneously getting free publicity for our upcoming spirit range.

And the world keeps on turning.

2 Likes

I don’t want to sound like the Metropolitan Liberal Elitist twat that I am, but honestly who drinks this stuff? It must sell, otherwise it wouldn’t be sold?

I often enjoy these drinks, and I’m a LME. Sorry for not wanting to spend £25 on a can of imported punk beer from Chile.

1 Like

Mate, I’m a brain surgeon - I can’t be drinking your fancy 6% craft beers on the morning before a big operation. 2% cooking lager is perfect just to get my hands steady but without clouding my judgement too much.

5 Likes

I’m with you, Polish tinnies or a case of Carling, no worries, but 2% own-brand lager? You’d have to be desperate.

The levels of snobbery in this thread is outrageous.

I bet they taste EXACTLY the same. You’re just paying for the “cool” artwork on the can.

Sickening.

2 Likes

Just have a glass of water if you’re thirsty.

1 Like

I don’t ever spend less than £30 to be honest.

Non wanker mate of mine turned up to dinner once with this.

12 Likes

Alright wankers, which of the following should I drink for my 1500th unique check in on Untappd? (Can’t be arsed to make a poll)

Barrel Aged Yadokai - Wild Beer (13%, woof)
Hard Shake - Wiper and True
Bourbon Milkshake - Siren

I’ve had the Hard Shake, it’s nice but won’t blow you away, so one of the others (I think I’m about eight uniques off 1,500 too!)

1 Like