DiS Beer Wankers 2019

Third or fourth best PB beer I’ve had :man_shrugging:

Shared a bottle of the Yellow Belly last night, sadly had a stinking cold this week and could barely taste anything :rofl:. I do remember from previous tries that Hammerton’s Crunch is a better value beer.

Glad they’re going to have to change the branding up though.

2 Likes

Had a pretty mad beer month, here’s the, clearly vital, round-up)

Main point - I’ve cracked and went and spent £7.50 ON A THIRD (Hoppin’ Frog Turbo Mango Shandy). This is a new low and definitely made me step back and reconsider, given it wasn’t even all that great. Lesson learned (sorta kinda not really).

Hit up North, Cloudwater and Brew York when I was down south (North disappointed, BY was aces, CW had insanely decent prices). Find myself more and more just going for sours and then crazy stouts or porters, IPAs and pales are basically getting shut out. Probably will change now we’re heading towards summer though.

2 Likes

So the best recent things:

Hanging Bat Rocktown Rye Bourbon Barleywine (best BW yet)
CW Sloe and Rosehip sour
CW Sour Cherry Imperial stout
CW Birthday TIPA
Stone Xocoveza Imp Mocha stout
Wylam Macchiato porter
Brew York Empress Tonkoko imp milk stout
Hoppin’ Frog Infusion A: Peanut Butter Chocolate Coffee porter
Gipsy Hill Carioca triple fruited sour
Omni Aon Hazelnut Fudge Pie stout
NM Patrons 16.01 Haze-Le-Nut porter

You’re welcome

3 Likes

off to france skiing for the week. look forward to posting a picture of every single balcony-refridgerated stubby i drink in this thread :+1:t3:

Oh yeah since everyone is clamouring for it:

North Mystic Waters
Belching Beaver (yeah fite me)
Hoppin’ Frog Infusion A: Peanut Butter Chocolate Coffee porter
Omni Yellow Belly
Hammerton Crunch
Mother Earth Sin-Tax
Something I had ice-cold from the fridge at Spoons

:nauseated_face:

I hated this. Probably the most synthetic tasting beer I’ve ever had. Like regurgitated Reece’s PB Cups.

2 Likes

Was the one from Spoons the Tailgate one?

Only beer I’ve ever poured down the sink

1 Like

Yeah I remember you both saying that way back in the last thread. Idk guys, it’s delicious to me - it actually tastes of PB which is what I want from a beer that describes itself that way. Maybe I just don’t want subtlety from my flavoured beers, it’s still nuts (heh) to me that you both actively hated it though :man_shrugging:

@CHAIRMAN_LMAO Yeah I think that’s the one.

2 Likes

A few recent buys.

In genuinely sad news, it looks like Kris Wines on York Way has closed for good. Probably the best beer shop in London, that was.

Sad to hear! One of the OGs. Nelson Wines near me has just shut too.

The new Brighton Bier pub has got a beer festival on this weekend and the only night that there’s anyone about to go with is Thursday. Thankfully I haven’t got much on at work on Friday.

1 Like

This makes me a bit sad - I used to go there every now and then when I lived not far away. I’m a bit confused though - you’d have thought in the craft beer age somewhere like that would have come into their own? Or have other craft off licences sprung up nearby and taken their trade?

not the world’s greatest rebrand

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu9BsqKn2xm/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=11nw8tylunue3

Rebrand from what? Is this St John at Hackney or whatever it was?

EDIT: Just been through their feed and it is. Still seems a little close to Hackney Brewery but god knows if they’ve got an agreement or whatever.

Thought the same thing all the time! I just don’t think he was bothered about it all. Like, the beer fridge had tins of Special Brew next to the Augustiner Helles, erratic opening times etc.

When I first went there in 2012ish it was actually mind-blowing - there was nowhere else like it that I knew of, aside from places like Kris Wines. But the selection never really changed. Its a shame as the area is really crying out for a nice beer shop and I wanted to support him, but it got to a point where i’d rather walk up to Tooting as I knew the selection in the places up there was was much better.

Yes, I know I shouldn’t expect much from B * ew * g nowadays, but this really is the pits of the earth. I would genuinely take a tin of Tennent’s, Carling, Bud or virtually any macro lager* over this fucking shit. Thankfully there’s much nicer things available in my beer fridge at present…

*Not Foster’s, though; I have *some *standards :wink:

2 Likes

My local big Tesco has started selling a couple of Big Drop beers. The stout and pale. Nice to see

1 Like

If this stuff is “Indie” it’s fucking Cast, Shed Seven, Hurricane #1, Dodgy and other assorted landfill non-entities.

2 Likes