DiS Beer Wankers 2019

Glad some other folks agree that B****g have gone terminally downhill in recent years. Back when the Edinburgh bar opened (2nd or 3rd in the country, maybe) a pint of 5 a.m Saint was a true glory to behold, and the first time I tasted My Name Is Ingrid I thought I’d reached beery heaven. Now Saint is an insipid compromise of a beer, devoid of any real malt or hops character, Jackhammer is a pale shadow of its former self and pretty much everything new I taste is one-dimensional, thin (overattenuated, perhaps?) and lacking any kind of personality or nuance; they can’t even get their rare attempts at a Hardcore IPA-style resin-bomb right any more, FFS! I got the first 10 or so Fanzine boxes, but after the umpteenth crappy fruit pale and flavourless attempt at a NEIPA I thought ‘fuck this’ and cancelled my subscription. Nanny State is pretty much the only reason I go near them nowadays, save for the odd beer-buying emergency (e.g. yesterday’s painful experience with the abomination that is Indie…)

Still never had a Heady Topper. Well jel.

Brewdog do good fake meat burgers.

Nandos is a good comparison TBH. A million places I’d rather go to, but if I’m getting dragged out for a work lunch or something and we end up there then I’m fine with it.

3 Likes

Yes - Nanny State is my most (only?) bought BrewDog beer these days. But I won’t front - used to love their beers. Remember Punk and 5am Saint on cask - well nice. They should accept that the youngsters are over them and try to become the new Hobgoblin.

1 Like

Work round the corner from the big brewdog place at tower hill and so end up in there fairly often. Its better for beer than anywhere else round here but it gets really busy and I don’t really get why they made a big glass fronted room feel so dingy.

They seem to have bars everywhere now. Got trips planned this year to Gothenburg, Tallinn and Bologna and they all have a brewdog bar.

Ha - I’m actually going there this evening. Meeting some of my wife’s uni mates and they just suggested there. The old Draft House right?

No it’s round the corner from the Draft House. It’s a huge space, in the weird gothic looking building on the main road.

1 Like

Ah, ok. Cheers.

Free day in London tomorrow. Where’s the wankiest place?

Beer Merchants tap any good?

Yeah, very, but West Ham at home so I’d swerve it.

Very good. And you can pop into Crate as well.

Wankiest place is hard to define. Haven’t been to the newish Mikkeller bar yet but I assume it’s pretty wanky.

Highest concentration of good stuff is probably still Bermondsey - Cloudwater, BBNo, Bottle Shop.

Then there’s the Experiment and other stuff up north.

The draft house is still there. If you want somewhere a bit quieter then I’d recommend the draft house. The brewdog one is packed just after work, whereas you are likely to get a table at the drafthouse.

Fucking football!

Been to Mikkeller, it’s pretty good but not my favourite of their bars. Bermondsey is a decent shout, might head that way.

OK - noted. We’re meeting at 8 and I have 2.5 hours to kill as I’m going straight from work. Might do a mini-crawl there. :crazy_face:

Millwall at home so I’d swerve it.

(jokes, they’re playing Sunday)

1 Like

I’d imagine it has gone to the dogs after I left tbh.

Jokes, it’s great and yer man @Severed799 is still there. It’s not too bad during the match generallly: if you get there for about 10 to 3 you should get a good hour and a half of peace and quiet to enjoy.

For the record, I love it on match day. Last time I was at a match we left on the buzzer and literally jogged there to maximise pints. It was heaving. Also good to see West Ham fans, generally, not being idiots and enjoying the beer (but I’m sure you lads have seen some shit).

2 Likes

Generally speaking West Ham fans have always been fine, though our food guy claims he had a small incident once but yeah, England vs Colombia was pretty mad more because England fans don’t know how to celebrate without being idiots and there was a recent thing involving Irish gypsys but aye the Hammers we get tend to be a gbol

1 Like