DiS Beer Wankers 2019

There’s probably a load more but I normally go

Bison
Watchmaker’s Arms

Food is ok at the Brunswick

1 Like

Picked up a Fuller’s & Friends box. The Pilot Collab, Huvvy Dug, a 7.4% wee heavy, is ok.

2 Likes

Respect Your Elders, mosaic ESB, ain’t bad you know

I’ve preferred this box to the previous one. Nothing special really, but all pretty decent. The only one I’ve not tried yet is Huvvy Dug.

Probably the best one I’ve had. Got the the stone and wood one and Woodstock one left. They’re all fine really. But nothing amazing.

Finally cancelled my Beer52 subscription after yet another box of meh. My first Mikkeller box came earlier in the month; I’m savouring the beers slowly but they’ve been fantastic so far :smiley:

I know I’m biased cos this is my local brewery but damn this is honestly one of the best beers going. Hunt it down, try it, totally amazing. There’s an online store… 6.5% IPA with citra/mosaic, cloudy, no finings

3 Likes

In Birmingham for the weekend, any particular suggestions? Seeing friends so will mostly go where they go, but just in case I get to influence the choice of drinking establishment…

The Wellington

Tilt is good, but pricey, and depends on your tolerance for pinball machines

Kilder was really good

Second Tilt and the Wellington, also Pint Shop (next door to the Wellington) and Cherry Reds.

Was in there last week, still a loooooot of those £10 mikkeller cans their fridge I noticed from that takeover they had a few months ago

& the wolf – it’s a bit out of the way – had some interesting taps on when I popped in last yr.

Which was the meh box? The one I’ve just got all looks quite interesting on first inspection (and I was considering cancelling too).

They’ve all been meh, but my last one was the Maine beers box - it looked interesting enough but the beers were at best average, all nondescript and a couple of them borderline rotten. I’ve had four boxes now and never received a single beer I’d want to try again. At £3 a bottle, that’s simply not good enough.

That’s pretty bad luck, can you remember which boxes? I’d say I think a full half are usually good - though more like £2 quality than £3. Over my 6 or so boxes I think I’ve had about 5 truly good ones - usually the milkshake ipa style or the darker ones. The South African coffee stout was actually great

Still gonna cancel though, over priced for sure. But has been useful over the sunny weekends recently for good stock of decent easy drinking stuff.

I can’t remember the theme of my first box, but I’ve had the Ruby 6 Nations box (which apart from the dull beer, annoyed me on principle because I can’t stand the game) and the hugely disappointing “Citizens of Everywhere” collaboration box. You’ve reminded me of a Tiny Rebel Mango Milkshake IPA which I did enjoy, and a lovely Cross Borders beer (which doesn’t count because I used to live a couple of miles from the brewery and I know the owner :wink: ) but everything else has been utterly unremarkable/unmemorable to me - generic pseudo craft beer, if such a thing exists.

Just flicking through Beer 52’s twitter feed and giggling at the sight of people receiving cans of Ægir IPA - it’s nice enough, but I can get that in the Co-op and I live in the middle of nowhere beer desert hell :see_no_evil:

Exactly why I left in the end. Got sent a box of 10 beers. 4 of them were Wild Beer core range I could get in the local shitty pub down the road, 2 Fourepure core range and 4 other beers from 1 brewery. Very quickly realised that the reason I subscribed discovery was no longer applicable

1 Like

Oh yeah, the Maine beer box was bad. I was quite excited by the idea of it, but the beers were boring. I would have cancelled, but they gave me a couple of free beers so I let it ride, and this months looks much more interesting, and can’t say I know any of the breweries they’re from. I can’t imagine I’ll stay with it much beyond that, but they’ve probably earned another month from me.

CB Braw is so damn tasty

1 Like

They send out so many free boxes, it’s hardly surprising the quality of the goods are sub par.