DiS Big Book Club: Gravity's Rainbow šŸš€šŸŒˆ

Iā€™m on part 3 now (page 300ish) and Iā€™m really enjoying it. Love all the connections he makes between science, statistics, the occult and human experience. I got quite nerdy in the bit where he describes the use of an analogue integrator circuit and an accelerometer to trigger Brennschluss in the rocket when it has reached its burn target. I feel like Iā€™m in the presence of someone who spends a lot of time thinking deeply about everything.

You can stop and savour the writing - nearly every sentence seems carefully crafted. Or you can plough through not really understanding it but still getting a sense of whatā€™s going on.

Iā€™ve really slacked off, youā€™ve pulled way ahead! Iā€™m at 240 still, recent thoughts

Totally loved: everything with Slothrop and Katje to open Part 2, was weird and fun - plus the almost buddy comedy parts with the other men he was with. Could basically be a great self contained little story even without what came before

Totally hated: the shit fetish scene ā€¦

2 Likes

Me too. Thought stuff like that would bounce off me but it was pretty hard to read.

Yeah, heā€™s so good with detail and drawing you into a scene. Which is mostly great but with something like that it got far too vivid

2 Likes

up to page 330, just gonna use this thread to hold myself accountable for my progress tbh

the opening of Part 3 is stunning:

We are safely past the days of the Eis-Heiligen - St. Pancratius, St. Servatius, St. Bonifacius, die kalte Sophie ā€¦ they hover in clouds above the vineyards, holy beings of ice, ready with a breath, an intention, to ruin the year with frost and cold. In certain years, especially War years, they are short on charity, peevish, smug in their power: not quite saintly or even Christian. The prayers of growers, pickers and wine enthusiasts must reach them, but thereā€™s no telling how the ice-saints feel - coarse laughter, pagan annoyance, who understands this rear-guard who preserve winter against the revolutionaries of May?

They found the countryside, this year, at peace by a scant few days. Already vines are beginning to grow back over dragonā€™s teeth, fallen Stukas, burned tanks. The sun warms the hillsides, the rivers fall bright as wine. The saints have refrained. Nights have been mild. The frost didnā€™t come. It is the spring of peace. The vintage, God granting at least a hundred days of sun, will be fine.

2 Likes

I like the cover on my version, even tho I know people get snobby about this one.

it is well-travelled. has outlived the bags in which it took passage.

I got to page 786 the other night. felt good.

2 Likes

Most of my Pynchon books are those covers. There are others I prefer, but theyā€™re alright ay they. Though weirdly on my Against the Day, the image is like peeling off and it looks really odd.

There was a section on @anon18868718ā€™s last podcast btw providing a bit of extra context on some of the dodgy corporate goings-on during WW2 that GR goes into:

1 Like

Iā€™m on p420 now lol

Really enjoying it. Feel completely immersed in it sometimes.

I have that one.

Still havenā€™t started despite being responsible for this threadā€¦ itā€™s on my to do list though!

I found the Pƶkler chapter really fascinating. A V2 engineer looking back on his life, full of atrocious acts, with the aim to build a weapon of mass destruction. But he distorts his own narrative to make himself out to have been a decent person. After the war several rocket scientists reinvented themselves in just this way and went to work in America, and the US authorities glossed over their Nazi past.
Also seems to have parallels with the way Slothrop takes on a series of personas, having literally lost his identity in France.

1 Like

Iā€™m on page 450 and I am really enjoying it but Iā€™ve reached that stage where Iā€™ve been reading it for so long now that itā€™s making me kind of resent how much of my life itā€™s taken up and all the other books on my to-read pile are staring at me resentfullyā€¦

I donā€™t think itā€™s helped by the fact that my edition has tiny and slightly blurred typeface which means, on a purely mechanical level, itā€™s not easy to read. Iā€™m using reading as a break from the being-constantly-squinting-at-a-screen-ness of lockdown life but itā€™s not much of a break for my poor old eyes to be honest.

That said, I am massively enjoying the writing. Had no idea how much farce and general nonsense was involved. Love the way in which it can swing into complete absurdity from being serious and back again.

1 Like

yeah I keep considering reading something short and easy to break GR up, but then that will just make the whole exercise take even longer, and make me even more likely to give up entirely. The one advantage is that sometimes it feels like about 4 books in one

1 Like

Yeah I think Iā€™d totally lose momentum if I did that. I worry already that stuff I read from the beginning is beginning to fade.

What the hell happened to that Pirate Prentice chap? The one with all the bananas? Was so sure he was going to be the protagonist and havenā€™t seen any mention of him for about 300 pages.

at this point, if itā€™s not Slothrop, I just treat everyone as a brand new character - and if I happen to eventually remember that they were integral to the first 100 pages then thatā€™s just a bonus

1 Like

made it to page 500, really been struggling lately. Not with content or quality at all, but itā€™s just so much, does feel like homework at times

I didnā€™t want to get distracted by other books by now Iā€™m feeling like reading something short and punchy in between each Part might have been a decent idea just as a palate cleanser ā€¦

The part on Beethoven and Rossini was hilarious though

Iā€™m on the home straight now (640ish). Itā€™s a massive undertaking and I feel like Iā€™ve only scratched the surface on a single read. I keep getting diverted into looking things up and finding massive academic essays on the themes of the novel. Some of these are a bit up themselves, but others have enhanced my enjoyment.

Really glad I took the plunge though. It has been a rewarding experience, if frustrating at times.

1 Like

looking forward to this part (and checking out all of Manches links) - though may put it off for a few weeks after Iā€™ve eventually finished!

And Iā€™m done! Massive mixed feelings:

Pretty impossible to rate. I get the feeling I wonā€™t really have a grip on just how I feel about this book until I re-read it and I also feel like this may never happen: life is too short. Some of the writing is right up there with the very best prose Iā€™ve ever read and yet the whole thing felt like a slog as a whole: a bit like a massive banquet made up of nothing but chocolate truffles - rich and luxurious but overwhelming and a bit sickening taken as a whole.

Massively didnā€™t help that the edition I was reading had size 0 font and after a full day of eye-strain teaching looking at a screen the last thing I needed was squinting at tiny smudged letters.

Off to read Jenny Hvalā€™s ā€˜Paradise Rotā€™ now. Itā€™s soā€¦ short!

iā€™m sure it will be a piece of piss compared to GR

1 Like

Iā€™m going to read one of the classic noirs, will feel like a breathe of fresh air

1 Like