DIS CD swap v7 - WATER

Thanks for the feedback @static . I actually came to that Renderer’s track via Will Oldham. He covers it on the More Revery EP:

I did consider putting that version on my disc but given he is already over represented (he’s duetting with Scout Niblett on her track as well) i went of the original (which is also very good, like you say very Kiwi).

That EP is a cracker if you haven’t already heard it. Up there with my very favourite Oldham releases.

1 Like

Hey @shucks thanks a lot for the water and bonus space discs. I’ve had 2 or 3 of your comps and it’s always a treat; very distinctive and a collection of bands that don’t appear on other compilations.

Enjoyed Hounds a lot (reminded me a lot of DX Deathrays), and really liked that Justice track. Primus were a real blast from the past (haven’t listened to them in the Sailing the Seas Of Cheese days). And the NOFX track was amusing.

With no tracklisting it’s more difficult to feedback on the space disc. Two highlights – track 5 which builds up very nicely and reminded me a bit of Deafheaven’s more mellow instrumental moments. And track 13 which made my fillings rattle (in a good way) - love that double voice action. Who were they both by?

1 Like

Just missed this one, but here’s the tracklist it would have had in case anyone is interested (probably a few songs too long):

hex water tape
  1. Up The Beach - Jane’s Addiction
  2. I Am Ahab - Mastodon
  3. A Salty Salute - Guided By Voices
  4. Seagull - Ride
  5. Beneath the Waves an Ocean - Future of the Left
  6. 65’s Hole Sea Shanty Remix - 65daysofstatic
  7. Night Boat to Cairo - Madness
  8. Ships of the North Atlantic - Stapleton
  9. Sea Legs - Run the Jewels
  10. He Remembers his Burial at Sea - Macha
  11. Wave of Mutilation - Pixies
  12. Home of the Whale - Massive Attack
  13. Fear of Drowning - British Sea Power
  14. Liquid Sword - GZA
  15. Now I Gotta Wet’Cha - Ice Cube
  16. Gone Under Sea - Electrelane
  17. Diggin’ A Watery Grave - Morcheeba
  18. The Ocean Doesn’t Want Me - Tom Waits

And here’s the short version:

short

Hydrogen - M|O|O|N
2:1 - Elastica
Oxygen - Aesop Rock

rimshot

1 Like

Cheers man, haha - I nearly always use that hilariously stupid metal font for my mixes. Glad to hear you liked it! Hounds are an interesting band, not everyone’s taste, but good lads.

Lonely The Brave are fucking ace, definitely check out their stuff - they’ve got 2 albums - The Day’s War and Things Will Matter.

Riddle of Steel are one of my favourite bands ever and that track isn’t even from their best album (which incidentally, is called Got This Feelin’ if you wanted to check it out :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like

Thanks dude! The Justice track is a proper banger; as is Primus. The NOFX track was actually a bit of a joke track as I wasn’t sure how to end the CD, but glad to hear people like it. :smiley:

Ah now, the bonus Space mix I gave you to say sorry for the postage mess up - I didn’t have time to print a cover again (read as too lazy to print out at work again). Full space mix tracklisting is here for your viewing pleasure:

1. Percolator – Sad Alien Thing
  2. Indian Handcrafts - Starcraft
  3. Fu Manchu – Orbiter
  4. Anakin – Satellite
  5. 65daysofstatic – Safe Passage
  6. Floor – Downed Star
  7. Dodge Meteor – Slipstream
  8. Turnstile – Gravity
  9. We Never Learned To Live – Tasting Paralysis
  10. Godzilla Black – Fear Of A Flat Planet
  11. Stephan Mathieu – Stasis 7 (Ash the Androids’ Dream)
  12. Damokles – Proximity Suspense
  13. Graf Orlock – Game Time
  14. Dr Bastardo – Murder Rave
  15. Arnocorps – Total Recall
  16. Down I Go – Billion Dollar Burning Coffin
  17. Beckett – I Know I’m Human

I love Graf Orlock - I always try and shoehorn them into a mix somehow because a) they fucking rule and b) see point a.

Also, I should say - that the space mix is supposed to tell a story of a ship receiving a distress call, landing on a planet, being attacked and trying to escape.

cool, i’ll check it out i’ve got about 20 bonnie prince releases but thats probably only half of them.

will definitely check out riddle, cheers

1 Like

Percolator are v good

1 Like

Hey @static, thanks for such nice feedback. Glad you found it aligned well with your tastes and you had a couple of new discoveries. Thanks for the compliment on the cover sketch – was pretty happy how it turned out.

That JFK extract is a beauty isn’t it – what a great speech. Every time I dig out anything from former presidents (from either side), it really puts the clumsy belches of the current cretin into even starker contrast.

The Quasi track is from Featuring “Birds” which I think is my favourite of theirs. The one after it ( Field Studies ) is pretty good too. Then I think they dipped for a while before rediscovering some spark.

I like the Alela Diane album that track was taken from ( To Be Still ) a lot. The songwriting is really strong throughout which I think is the thing that sets apart the stripped down folkies worth checking out from the pack.

The BPB live album I took the ‘my home is the sea’ version from is a good record I think. I quite like the Superwolf record, but it’s maybe too pared back for me to listen to in its entirety in a single sitting.

Amalgamated Sons of Rest is only an EP – there’s a gorgeous looking vinyl version of it, which I think has an etching on side B, but think it was released in the US and I haven’t been able to justify the expense.

The 91plus album with this track on is available free from their bandcamp. I can heartily recommend it to you and anyone else reading this. Full of lovely warm organic sounding electronica: Naturalysis | 91plus

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Righto - my water mix tracklisting was as follows (happy to mixcloud it if anyone is interested)…

1 EMA - Grey Ship
2 Gallon Drunk - Push The Boat Out (Berlin '93)
3 You’re Jovian - Whalehead
4 Julie Byrne - Natural Blue
5 Richard Hawley - Ocean
6 Fleetwood Mac - Albatross
7 Grizzly Bear - Deep Blue Sea
8 Guided by Voices - Underwater Explosions
9 Julianna Barwick - Bob In Your Gait
10 Verve - Life’s an Ocean
11 Laura Veirs - Ocean Night Song
12 Tom Waits - The Ocean Doesn’t Want Me
13 Pram - Sea Swells And Distant Squalls
14 Rozi Plain - Stolen Shark
15 Grouper - Heavy Water/I’d Rather Be Sleeping
16 Cross Record - The Depths
17 Moby - God Moving over the Face of the Waters [heat mix]

It was meant to narrate a story from embarkation on a cruise to a watery grave. Cheerful right?

2 Likes

early gallon drunk bootlegs are amazing and capture something that’s missing from the first studio albums (the debut aside) so nice you went for a live version. Don’t think I’ve ever managed to shoehorn a drunk song onto one of my discs, should really rectify that.

Awesome stuff, thanks wz,

Yeah good speech I can see some kind of JFK the sea vs Churchill the beaches battle coming on.
I was doing a bit of Quasi reliving thanks to your mix the other night, and I’ll look to getting that amalgamated sons EP (at least on mp3)

1 Like

could have covered that in one song m8!

Damnit.

@static Apologies for the disgustingly late feedback. September/October was filled with getting married, a lovely long honeymoon but then returning to a stack of work so it’s only been the last couple of weeks or so that I’ve been able to give your mix a good run of listens.
Seem to remember you making a comment about how it was very indie centric so thought there might be some major overlap in my tastes. I included the Wildbirds & Peacedrums track on my mix too. After that though I didn’t recognise a single name on your track listing.
Could really talk up the whole mix but I’ll pick out some highlights.

Nick Huggins – Short and sweet. Reminds me of a guy called Talons’ I put on my mix.
Radar Bros – Lovely little tune but it was the overlapping backing vocals and ohhh and ahhh’s that really got me.
Power Animal – Panda Bear Person Pitch-esque in the euphoric yelps!
Tarwater – A real highlight. Love the warmth of the production, the static and the brooding and sinister sounding loop.
Bloodgroup – A real grower this one. I was a little unsure at first, felt a bit too cold and clinical but repeated listens and it opened up to be bit of a pop banger.
Alias – Is that Yoni from Why? ? Strong drumming and the two differing vocals works really well.
Thee More Shallows – Another really beautifully layered song. Big fan of the mournful brass.
The Boats – I seem to like the more downbeat minimalist tracks but again a really pretty warm sounding sleeper of a track that I’m still picking different bits up on every listen.
Snow Palms – Gorgeous sounding track reminiscent of one of those wind up music boxes. Nice orchestral swell towards the end of the track.
Therese Aune – Currently my favourite. Epic without being overblown. Love her voice and love the arrangement.

Genuinely none that I disliked Maybe the only two that didn’t grab me were Kyst and Apparat.

So thanks very much as I’ve got plenty to investigate. Any from my picks that you highly recommend?

1 Like

No Worries, Humungous congratulations, and a lifetime of wedded bliss to you.

Great to hear you found some stuff you like, it was a nicely broad theme so I was able to sneak a few of my favourites in there. That Radar Bros track is possibly my favourite of their tracks, but there’s loads of very similar stuff and some really great tracks, They don’t get rated enough imho but I always think of them as Grandaddy’s slightly older brother. All 7 albums are good but I’d put Auditorium then Singing Hatches > …Surrounding Mountains > the other 3 > Eight.

I often list Thee More Shallows as my favourite band, 3 brilliant albums the 2nd album More Deep Cuts is probably the best but depends on the mood your in, the first is a little more chilled the 3rd a little more electronic. Love his lyrics, I’ve got my fingers crossed for a return sometime next year. Also worth checking out Fops, particularly Yeth, Yeth, Yeth a total steal at 2 bucks Yeth Yeth Yeth | Fops It’s the singer and another guy who is the frontman for Ral Partha Vogelbacher - another great band which also has members of Thee More Shallows. Ral Partha Vogelbacher Messy Artist - YouTube

The Boats are just great chilled background doing some thinking or drifting off music, might be my favourite British band, and the 2 people perform separately as Tape Loop Orchestra and as The Humble Bee, and Danny Norbury joins those 2 a lot as well after the first few albums. They’ve got 12 - 16 albums (depending on how you look at it.) which can be divided loosely in to the early stuff, the mid stuff and the late stuff. The Late stuff is Nomenclature and the Abstraction EP which are completely non chilled big industrial waves of static noise and thudding beats, so despite the fact that it’s the same 2 guys it’s basically a completely different entity - still good mind if you like a bit of that, but pretty much in opposition to the rest of the output. The Early stuff is light and the relaxing, slow electronica stuff like the Rain track, some nice lazy vocals coming in on roughly 3rd to half the tracks. This includes Songs by the Sea, We Made It For You, Tomorrow Time, Our Small Ideas, Saturation Humm & Hiss, Faulty Toned Radio, Words are Something Else, and their releases under The Sea and Theodore and Hamblin. If I had to pick a favourite I’d probably go with Our Small Ideas, it’s a pretty good entrance point, Sleep Insect Music is great compilation too. The Mid years are electronic too but a bit more fuzzy waves of electronic wash and cello from Norbury, these include the 3 Ballad albums, The Ballad of the Eagle, Ballads of the Research Department and Ballads of the Darkroom. I’d probably throw in the live album Do the Boats dream of Electric Fritz Pfleumer under this too.

I’ll leave that there before I write a Boats novel.

Glad you enjoyed, cheers.

1 Like

@Scagden
@allnerve
@WardrobeGruber
did you receive a CD this week?
:grimacing:

Nope. Was I on your list for this one?

Mine arrived this morning, know a number of artists and a few of the tracks so looking forward to a listen and will review sometime in the next fortnight.

1 Like

Thanks very much! Going great so far as it should be after only a couple of months!

Thanks for the detailed recommendations. I’m still going through the end of year lists and discovering a lot I like on them so haven’t got round to delving any further into anyone from your mix yet but will make sure I do. Looks like there’s a lot to discover so really appreciate the guidance especially on The Boats as 12-16 albums is a bit daunting!

1 Like