DiS City - RESULTS!

1. Berlin.
  • Been once for a work thing. Had one afternoon to walk around so can’t really say I’ve seen it. Would like to go back for longer.
  1. Barcelona.
  • Love it! Been 4 times. 2 Prima’s, 1 work, 1 stag. Loved it every time. Think the third time I went I was like “been here a few times, don’t really need to come back” and on the fourth I was like “Nah, this place is great, I’d come here every year if I could” Maybe some of the best eating I’ve ever had.
  1. New York.
  • I love New York lads. Hate using the term ‘vibe’ but think it has a really good ‘vibe’ to it.
  1. Tokyo
  • Best place I’ve ever been to. It’s like another planet. Favourite City ever. Can’t wait to go back
  1. Paris
  • been 15 years since I was there but I liked it back then. Liked going up to Montmatre. Didn’t experience any rudeness.
  1. (=) San Francisco
  • I don’t think I enjoyed it much at the time cos I had vertigo when I was there (this isn’t a joke). In hindsight it’s a really cool place and I’d love to go back. I have no interest in baseball but a highlight was drinking $1 PBR’s and using the can to cure my sunburn in a dive bar while the Giants won a playoff on the way to winning the world series.
  1. (=) Budapest
  • Only been for work. It’s pretty but I don’t think I’ve seen any of the cool stuff it has to offer.
  1. (=) Dublin
  • Fucking freezing by the way. And that’s coming from a Scotsman. Would love to go not on a Stag do and not in January or February please.
  1. (=) Toronto
  • Liked it. Nice place, good eating. Dinosaur collection in the ROM was amazing. Probably coloured by the fact we went to Montreal the following week and enjoyed that more.
  1. (=) Prague
  • same as Budapest

this, but for a (terrible) New Year’s wedding

1 Like

Mostar’s mainly famous for a bridge in the centre which has world heritage site status I think?

Our coach driver circled the city twice on a journey to Sarajevo so the coach driver could kill time while his mates who had got off to do their food shop finished up.

Said mates also spent the eight hour journey from Dubrovnik to Sarajevo sat on the aisle floor of the filled to capacity coach glaring angrily at me and Mrs Z after the Dubrovnik Tourist Office apparently broke some unwritten rule and sold us seats A1 & A2 which were normally reserved for the driver’s comps.

Sarajevo is incredible (after you get beyond the depressing bus station) though, so well worth it once we were there.

Sarajevo is indeed great. I left my wallet at a ticket desk at the Sarajevo bus station, and the ancient woman in line behind me who must’ve been about 4’9" came running after me with it. I would’ve been soooo fucked had she not. So even the bus station gets the seal of approval from me.

5 Likes

Only been to 9 of the 21 (but I did live in two of those for a couple of years each). Of the ones I’ve been to, the best on the list is Tokyo by a mile, (only New York comes anywhere close and it’s still miles behind), and my least favourite would be San Francisco. Had some nice daytimes there, but we never found anything great in the evening, and it seemed really quiet. Probably on us really. Best thing was finding the Lucasfilm offices in the Presidio and meeting this guy

2 Likes

Don’t rate Barca. Like it less every time I’m there. Felt totally hollowed out and touristy to me. Must be missing something given how many other people love it.

loved it the first time i have to say. it was 2008 or something and i was with a girl, and i hadn’t been anywhere near southern europe before, so it was kind of magical. remember seeing a load of drumming children wandering around some street near the port. subsequent couple of trips have enjoyed the sitting on the street eating bits, but not so much the place itself. i was in a state the last time i was there though, so that might be colouring my experience a bit. just never felt like i could get out of tourist-land whatever i did.

like berlin, would like to spend a bit more time there. only been in the winter so it mostly makes me think of being cold. real vibey place, i like places that feel so much like you’re only scratching the surface

Berlin’s a lot of fun

That’s interesting about Toronto. I liked Toronto more than Montreal, the sweatiness of Montreal probably didn’t help. The main reason I liked more is that it made sense in terms of layout I got it. Same reason I didn’t like New York it’s just a mass of buildings.

Barca is better than Berlin
it has

Sing it!

3 Likes

My list:

Mexico City
New York
Budapest
Lisbon
Berlin

S-s-s-s-spokane!

2 Likes
  1. Lisbon
  2. Barcelona
  3. Stockholm
  4. Paris
  5. Seattle

Number 5 was a bit of stretch tbh. Best place I’ve lived by a mile though, even better than Hyson Green.

Changes all the time but something along this lines of:

• Bordeaux
  • Napoli
  • LA
  • Jerusalem
  • Beirut, NYC or Bologna (can’t decide)

I grew up in remote Scotland so was never really a city person at all. Until I moved to Berlin! Have lived here for the best part of a decade now. I love it so much and I will never ever leave!

:heart::de::heart:

3 Likes

Totally fair points there. Although I think Toronto was a lot more like NY in terms of layout than Montreal. I definitely loved Toronto, great place. Just ever so slightly preferred Montreal… like by a smidge. Loved all the murals and just coming across random alleys that tenants had turned into gardens.

Canadians are sound, eh? Like so so sound.

2 Likes

Yeah apart from people in Quebec that’s a weird town. My Mrs hired a Canadian before Christmas who lived on Newfoundland and she said that the rest of Canada see the French Candians as and this is how she put it, a really, really, extreme version of people who are for Welsh Independence and use of the Welsh language.

Best example of it that we saw was probably when we went to Saint Alexis des Monts which is a tiny village out in the sticks and everyone spoke French and nobody spoke English and if they learnt a 2nd language it was German. Some French Candians really don’t like the rest of Canada.

1 Like

The rest of Canada tend to be MASSIVELY prejudiced about French Canadians when in most cases they haven’t met many.

1 Like

It’s the best bit. Won’t ever get me admitting it publicly back home, mind