DiS community digital record label

:heart_eyes:
Yeeaaahhh! Iā€™ll piece you together a playlist and let you know who the creators are so you can source downloads as needed - sound ok?

1 Like

up for nthis

1 Like

Also I have a suggestion for the name - Jaguarundis.

Itā€™s an actual word, has the words JAG and DiS in it, sounds like ā€œJag Around Thisā€, and is an actual thing too - means a ā€œa mainly tropical American wildcatā€, which could easily be the logo.

Also

3 Likes

trying to figure out what my position on this is given other distribution & various deals Iā€™ve already got to juggle

One thing though, and not to poo-poo Distrokid or McGarnagle here, distrokidā€™s main plus point cost wise is that itā€™s a flat fee per year that covers all releases whereas most other digital distro operates on a flat fee per release basisā€¦ so obviously thereā€™s a point at which the number of releases (and type) per year play into the budget equation. For instance it makes sense if you have a lot of catalogue to use Distrokid ā€¦but we havenā€™t got any catalogue yet

ā€¦which brings us to an important question; How many releases and of what type are we looking at per year?
also, how will we deal with the ā€˜curationā€™ especially wrt each release being mastered as a unit rather than all sorts of different volumes, sound quality etc? How are we going to define what gets put out there? Or are we just gonna throw as much as possible and see what sticks?

1 Like

jagwar undies ?

not sure

Wow, youā€™ve just sorted our merchandise too! Perfect!

3 Likes

All fair points, to which I do not have an answerā€¦

Itā€™s definitely something that needs some blue sky thinking / market research

Are we just gonna do various artist compilations?
Individual artist EPs?
Individual artist full albums?

How do we split it between the beatless & the more dance stuff?

Hereā€™s a top of the head ideaā€¦ One various compilation per month alternating between Ambient one month, electronica/dance the next

that makes 12 compilations in a year from which each artist could then collect their various tracks together into individual EPs/mini-albums/LPs depending on how many tracks theyā€™ve done/contributed

This could also work in the opposite direction ----> EPs/mini-albums/albums split off and collected into label sampler compilations

just thinking off the top of my head here

also, who decides?
If I want to put an EP out on the label & half of you think itā€™s shit what happens then? (this isnā€™t personal to me of course. How do we judge quality control?)

3 Likes

tbf splitting tracks would fuck me up, I like to use ambient bits as breathers on my lps

Yeah, figured this might be a conflict for you with all the other stuff going on.

I think weā€™re aligned on a rough genre in the range of ambient/IDM
Type - I think a good starting point is a mixture of albums/EPs released digitally. There are a few of us with things which are already out in the wild - I think we can start by doing a sampler with maybe a track per existing release that we want to bring under the label?
After thatā€¦ honestly, not sure. I donā€™t want it to be a high-pressure thing where we need a regular cadence of releases. I think the cost @McGarnagle is proposing feels like a low entry point per person even if itā€™s not necessarily the most cost-efficient? It certainly feels ok to me.

Been mulling over this a lot tbh. I would propose we formally choose a couple of folks who have the ultimate yes/no on albums/tracks/mastering - in an entirely elective capacity rather than meaning any additional cut of (non-existent) revenues. Iā€™ll throw my hat in the ring as one of those folks, although Iā€™ve not got a great ear for masteringā€¦

As a non-creator, and more of a curator, Iā€™d throw my hat in too. Iā€™m not into the creation but listen a lot and have been a critical writer in the past.

3 Likes

Youā€™ve got my vote.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got the right software for mastering (Ozone 8 etc.) and Iā€™ve done it on my own stuff. Iā€™m way, way off being what Iā€™d even consider competent in terms of balancing a tone across multiple different recording sources but Iā€™m willing to give it a go and I can at least make sure levels and stuff are reasonably balanced. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Your stuff sounds great.

Suggestions:

Curation: @escutcheon and @AphexTwinkletoes
Mastering: @McGarnagle
Distrokid admin: @McGarnagle

Anyone else want to throw their hat in the ring? Other roles we need formally defining?

You know the Rainy Dayers have a gorpu thing, can we get one @moderators

1 Like

Iā€™ve added a second sheet to that google doc for existing releases, i.e. EPs/LPs that you would want to be considered for the label and which could contribute tracks towards a prospective sampler.

Iā€™m keen to get stuck in wherever needed, donā€™t really mind what but if thereā€™s something that needs doing then sign me up.

Going back to @McGarnagleā€™s list above Iā€™m happy to take a punt at setting up things like a website / bandcamp page / social media accounts / mailing list etc. Also, sure there are people here better at it, but can give branding/logos a go as well, once weā€™ve decided on name.

2 Likes

:+1::+1::+1:

I actually donā€™t know how to create groups not sure if itā€™s an @admins thing.

1 Like

Iā€™m happy with most of those suggestions but Iā€™ve added Disintegrated/Disintegrated Records as an alternative mainly due to there already being a Disintegration Records on Bandcamp.

1 Like