DiS Does Art: March 2020

Last month’s thread, with links to the other months, here: DiS Does Art: February 2020

Took a break from Magatsu for this month and used the Oblique Strategies app, which is a list of prompts used by Brian Eno to break creative blocks. So this month we have:

:drum:

Nice contrast from getting out of our comfort zones last month, eh?

5 Likes

Hoping to submit something this month. I’ll be honest though, I did do a lot that fits with last month’s brief. Just didn’t finish any of it!

Might go back through that thread and see what everyone made later :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Right, my classic studies in lines and shape it is then.

3 Likes

I’m thinking of turning on a Big Muff, hitting a big chord, and letting it ring out for 4 minutes. Easy.

5 Likes

This is a surprisingly hard prompt

5 Likes

My first thought for mine is to maybe not use any live instrumentation? Not that electronic stuff is “easy” by any stretch, more that I’m prone to spending absolutely ages recording guitars because I’m writing, playing and recording all at once and haven’t got the playing part down smoothly by the time I’ve got to the recording part, so that part always feels more difficult than it should be.

2 Likes

That said I’ve already given up on getting a time stretching plugin to do what I wanted it to so just set the track going, patched it to another track, and recorded that.

I’m a pro.

Oooh I’m definitely doing an arp/drone thing for this. When putting a track together I often feel the need to keep changing things up or to pile on extra elements. I feel like letting things run without intervening is too easy. This is a good prompt to try something more minimal.

2 Likes

I use Audacity’s built in paulstretch plugin for all my stretching needs. A whole extra program for one effect is probably a bit much but it is a ruddy good plugin.

2 Likes

Love Audacity so much, I use it for mastering (which is why all my stuff sounds like it was recorded in a cardboard box underwater, but it’s my cardboard box dammit)

1 Like

Underwater-cardboard-box is an underrated aesthetic if you ask me. I often go to great lengths to make things sound like they’re being played underwater. And it certainly works for your pieces!

2 Likes

Made a start. Got to thinking one very easy thing to do is make a mess, but that might be something I would be afraid of because mess doesn’t turn out so good if you fight against it.

So, I have embraced ruler-based smudges, paint bleed, and all kinds of accidental marks.

Need to wait for this first mess layer to dry so I can do the second colour which aims to be a bit more precise to bring it together.

2 Likes

thought of an easy thing to do, which doubles as a smartarse interpretation of the prompt, and also thought of a way of making it a lot harder to actually make

would like to do it though

3 Likes

Yep. This is a tough one. It feels like a trick. I think I’m overthinking it, even though that’s what it specifically says not to do.

1 Like

Hmmm, I don’t find any art easy to do. Might have to be a bit abstract with this.

1 Like

Went off theme here a little (though it was Quite Easy /shit)

Here is M̶y̶ Herbert Spellerman’s new hot track Famous Raymond’s.

Herbert would like to thank @Joke for the idea, and @manches because he stole on of his jokes.

Herbert really tried to channel Andrew Falkous in this one.

Herbert would like to tell you the lyrics too

"Raymond Carver
Will you please be quiet, please
And Raymond Briggs
I really am quite a fan of your output
Everybody loves them
Everybody loves them
Raymond Chandler
Could he BE any more hard boiled?
Raymond Wintstone
Tried to ruin Indiana Jones
Ray liotta
Not even a real otter
Famous Raymonds
There’s more than you might think

8 Likes

The joys of recording on an electronic drum kit and then having it converted to midi

1 Like

Bloody love this

2 Likes

:smile: Justice done

1 Like