DiS' favourite vegetarian xmas foods

Greetings!

I’ve been making a veggie side dish for myself for the family xmas meal for years, but this year I’m celebrating with my sister and brother and they’ve agreed to a full vegetarian xmas dinner!

So rather than just googling “vegetarian xmas dinner” with hundreds of thousands of results, I thought I’d check with you lot what your favourites are. Vegetarian and vegan recipes welcome.

For my own part I should add that I don’t have a huge kitchen at my disposal, but of course I have most basic things as it’s where I do all my cooking. Also we don’t care if it’s close to a traditional UK xmas dinner or not, for obvious reasons.

Let’s go!

10 Likes

My mum’s nut roast. Fucking amazing.

1 Like

Yorkshire pudding

2 Likes

Thanks @anon29812515 and @jordan_229, you’ve both been exceptionally helpful.

3 Likes

That’s our pleasure.

nut roast is so good
I didn’t know they existed until about 3 years ago, always just ate chicken and turkey

we cooked this one twice now, I can’t get enough. Don’t think it would go in a sandwich as leftovers but I’d be happy to be proven wrong

2 Likes

I’m doing Christmas dinner this year so definitely need inspiration

1 Like

I like vegetables

apart from sprouts

reckon if i was doing a veggie christmas dinner and didn’t have to bother with (white uk) tradition I’d do a massive curry feast

1 Like

not sure I’d be keen on eating raw broccoli from that tree either

Braised red cabbage.

1 Like

Bucket full of roast potatoes

3 Likes

I mean, as much as I love a good curry feast, we do still want CHRISTMASSY, just doesn’t have to be specifically white UK christmassy. There are some overlaps to standard Norwegian christmas foods, but not lots.

1 Like

Sorted!

1 Like

do give her my best

1 Like

10 years of not eating meat at my parents’ for Xmas, they had a big roast and I would cook a nice big Dal and Bombay Poatoes a few days before and warm it up to have with some Samosas and rice on the day. Was a p good do.

Then past 2 years since I moved in with my partner I couldn’t be arsed lugging food over to my parents on Xmas day so we had all their veg and potatoes with Linda McCartney sausages.

This year my sister (who cooks the roast) is a vegetarian so we’re having a big fucking vegan Xmas roast with a mushroom Wellington as the main bit (lockdown permitting). Exciting!

3 Likes

oh ok

salt baked celeriac then

5 Likes

Coincidentally this is on the homepage of the guardian this morning WR

My father in law’s nut roast is absolutely incredible, essential at xmas for me now

1 Like

Was cooking veggie for 3 last year, used this recipe but made two smaller wellingtons instead of one - froze one of them and left it in my partner’s parents freezer. The half sized one was still way too much for 3, really.

Really easy to make, just takes a little while

1 Like

Big fan of celeriac so this is interesting!

1 Like