DiS goes for a nice walk in late Feb/early March? [DiSmeat]

Anyone fancy going for a nice walk and then for some pub grub? Thought I’d gauge interest in this early as it might take a bit of organising depending on the number of people.

Some potential dates:

• Sun 25th Feb
  • Sun 4th March
  • Sat 10th March
  • none of these boo

0 voters

A few potential walks:

• Epping Forest Oak Trail (~7mi)
  • Box Hill, Surrey (~4mi)
  • Ashridge Estate (~5mi)
  • none of these boo

0 voters

Epping Forest Oak Trail, Essex
7miles, Easy(ish)
This is all woodland so pretty easygoing terrain and the start point is next to a tube station so fairly accessible.
More info: https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/green-spaces/epping-forest/sports-events-and-activities/Documents/oak-trail-epping-forest.pdf

Box Hill, Surrey
4miles, Moderate
Bit more of a hilly walk but nice views over the Surrey AONB, accessible by southern rail.
More info: https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/box-hill/trails/box-hill-juniper-top-circular-walk

Ashridge Estate Woodland Walk, The Chilterns
5/6 miles ish, Moderate
Bit further out so a train and a 1 mile walk to the start point but plenty of nice trails to choose from. This one seems like a good mix of hills and woodland. £2.50 entry to the grounds.
More info: https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/ashridge-estate/trails/three-in-one-bluebell-walk-at-ashridge

Pubs/Food
Each has a couple of options for pubs nearby to get some food afterwards so can sort that nearer the time, will probably need to book somewhere.

Any thoughts, comments, questions, etc.?

DiS walks the surrey hills + pub lunch, Saturday 10th March

I’ll be in London on the 10th of March! :smiley:

Off a short plank ideally ahahahahaha.

This is a lovely idea and I would like to come. Got a pretty spot on Berghaus technical jacket too so will certainly look the part.

Potentially in depending on various :bike: related clashes, easy re: route.

This is a great idea. Can I bring the kids?

aww yes of course! guess we’ll have to double check with whatever pub we end up with but can’t imagine it being an issue

also, holler if anyone drives and would be up for getting a carpool going, would probably be cheaper than trains and could possibly be less hassle. see what turnout is like tho.

Epping Forest on 10th March would be my preference. but I’m up for whatever.

I’d be up for this. Personally I’d recommend walking from Oxted to Tatsfield via the Titsey Estate which is lovely. Could pop into Beaver World (no jokes) in Tatsfield.

Plenty of nice pubs to get food. I highly recommend The Botley Hill Farmhouse.

Would be happy to drive places.

monday bump!

ace, see what the turnout is and if driving is doable

Nice one - no worries. Am equally happy on the train, but will leave the option out there. Pretty flexible in terms of locations for pick-ups / drop-offs etc.

Wills of the peoples

Top idea, might be up for one of the other dates if the little one is amenable to going for a long walk

it’s pretty closely run but it’s looking like Box Hill on 10th March then?

• IN!
  • ahm oot

0 voters

50/50 at the moment.

More, as I have it.

I wont pick a date because I might not be able to make it…but I’ll keep an eye on this thread because it’s a great idea

Can’t do Saturdays - it’s a workday for me - but I’d be up for a Sunday.

maybe

body too similar to recently posted

oh, that’s actually a good bit out of London isn’t it? :grimacing: I’m a maybe depending on the time, need to get back into town for a gig that evening