DiS Grapple Club 2: The bloodening (WWE Network Centric)

Surprised ya man @Severed799 hasn’t aired his excitement yet. I’m going to Watch the rest tonight

I do have a life you know

I meant for the reincarnation of grap club. Not expected you to have seen it yet. Gawwwwd

Just joking* no I hadn’t seen it, looks fun, IN

*just bitter my story arc didn’t work out

Its okay. It’s not ur story arc it’s just our inability to commit to one… and that we are all massive flakes. This already appears to be getting a lot more traction :smiley:

Gonna give this a go now. Lots of content warnings to start with. And some excellent hairstyles in the opening segment. This is going to be a treat.

New Jack is a fucking cunt though

ill try watch this this weekend, always wouild like to see some ECW as I’ve only seen one PPV, but based on the games, Nova was my favourite

ECW November To Remember 1998 then

That show was a complete and utter mess, everything including the kitchen sink booking, but never boring and didn’t drag. The matches were mostly fine but the only two that stood out in any way to me was Lance Storm Vs Jerry Lynn and the main event, the rest were functional spot fests.

Quick thoughts:
The nonsense in the Jerry Lynn/Lance Storm match really dragged things down for me, Tammy Lynn Bitch will NEVER EVER be funny and hearing Joey Styles constantly repeating it was infuriating. Whenever they were allowed to go, they really went for it.

Forgot that Mabel/Viscera had a BRIEF run in ECW

The main event was a fantastic plunder match which was relentless in its delivery. So much fun, almost completely ruined by a prat in the crowd with a whistle.

Seeing Jake ‘The Snake’ wasn’t a nostalgia pop from me, it made me sad, dude was deep in his dark years by this point and it really showed.

Terry Funk was easily MVP throughout the night, his story arc and meltdown was brilliant.

The wrestling was light years ahead of what WCW and WWF were doing at the time but the gimmicks and storytelling weren’t nearly as strong which made the show less satisfying to watch despite the generally greater match quality.

I don’t like 1 man announce teams

FAR TOO MANY RUN IN’s made the show chaotic in a bad way

Overall a fun show but not essential at all, nothing bad about asides from the constant stream of run in’s and the show is an easy enjoyable watch. The main event was the best match of the night with Dreamer vs Credible and Storm vs Lynn being tarnished by overbooking but still enjoyabl, albeit slightly frustrating matches to watch. The Dudley Boys match was a fun plunder match if you could ignore the brutal chair shots. A decent introduction to ECW in the sense it introduces you to A LOT of the cast of character, but utterly fails in delivering context or a coherent story outside of the fantastic Terry Funk stuff.

6/10 (Decent)

ECW November To Remember 1998 Poll-a-rama

Danny Doring & Roadkill vs. The Blue World Order (Super Nova & The Blue Meanie)

0 voters

Tommy Rogers vs. Tracy Smothers

0 voters

Spike Dudley vs. Ulf Herman

0 voters

Jerry Lynn vs. Lance Storm

0 voters

The Dudley Boyz vs. Balls Mahoney & Masato Tanaka

0 voters

Jack Victory & Justin Credible vs. Jake Roberts & Tommy Dreamer

0 voters

Rob Van Dam, Sabu & Taz vs. Bam Bam Bigelow, Chris Candido & Shane Douglas

0 voters

Overall Rating

0 voters

I managed to get halfway through. Had to stop after Lance Storm/ Jerry Lynn because whilst it had the bones of a good match the overbooking was annoying the fuck out of me. I will watch the rest today. I definitely feel like this was a product that 14 year old me enjoyed more than 32 year old me.

Yeah. Sadly a lot of matches are ruined/held back by ‘andthen x ran in and then x ran in to deal with x who ran in on x earlier’ stories. As a result it felt more like a house show, great for the drunk crowd in 1998 I’m sure, but in 2018 watching at home 20 years later it’s just super confusing lol.

won’t let me quote blurred bits, but taz wasn’t another companies champion, it was a million dollar championship type alternative title

was a good gimmick tbf. ecw taz was pretty great

:smiley:

Then I completely misunderstood the whole angle. Go me!

:smiley:

Tbf they did an awful job of explaining anything

in fairness they don’t really explain it on this show (I guess because neither title was on the line so they maybe didn’t need to) so you wouldn’t know unless you already knew

I think my confusion came from the fact FTW legit sounds like it could be a wrestling company. Stuff like the Million Dollar Belt, X-Divison, Intercontinental Championship and so on don’t.

ok, so this show isn’t very good. if I was gonna try and get someone into ecw, this is absolutely not the ppv I’d show them. it’s weird, because it’s sandwiched in between two very good shows: heatwave 98 is one of the very best ecw ppvs (mike awesome vs tanaka, a banger of a tag match, one of the famous bam bam vs taz matches) and guilt as charged 99 (maybe not a classic but still good, has tajiri vs supercrazy, rvd vs lance storm, and taz vs shane douglas).

lance vs jerry lynn deffo the best match but dragged down by overbooked nonsense (the guest ref is cheating to help the babyface???) sunny looks well but eats a horrible looking stunner. match would’ve been a billion times better if they’d just given them 15 minutes to have a normal match without all the surrounding shenanigans

dudleys vs balls/tanaka was a fun plunder match I guess, would’ve made a nice change of pace on a show that wasn’t overbooked everywhere else.

the main event is nothing really, but it sets up the storylines going forwards - taz vs shane douglas at the next ppv, taz vs sabu at the one after that.

reading your reviews, cannae be arsed with this

yeah I wouldn’t bother. hope the randomizer gives us another, better ecw show, wouldn’t want people thinking that it was all like this one

i have watched some good ones so it wouldn’t paint it too much for me, but yeah, I also don’t really want to waste my time watching bad wrestling shows :wink: