DiS posts on social media

Maybe it just goes to the Metropolitan UK elite.

Fine never seeing one tbh.

Yeah it takes that field when it emails me about someone sending me a direct message on here and so I’m often wondering who the fuck is contacting me until I open up in the site.

1 Like

I’ve changed it to 10:15 Glider Chad so I can find a shoegaze boyfriend that fucks.

8 Likes

In your account under preferences and emails:

You might just have it switched off.

1 Like

Surelybif any user expresses a wish not to be included in such publicity, then they continue to be included, they’re not being listened to. Sure there were some positive global ideas brought in, but nothimg on a user level.

I might be wrong but I think it’s a function of Discord that can’t be turned off.

Last mention I can find of it:

Automated e-mails

Also, just as a quick update as we have had lengthy discussions about e-mail newsletters and privacy issues before: The default option across Discourse forums afaik has been for the mailing list mode to be enabled for each user, which has meant that each user has had to individually and manually find the correct opt-out setting in their site preferences. This has now changed, so that the default is that mailing list mode is disabled . Meaning the automated digest emails will go out to even fewer users than before.

4 Likes

From my very, VERY limited understanding of how internet traffic and advertising works, when I had like a year long break from here, I quite enjoyed browsing the newsletter. It went straight to my junk mail box, and I wasn’t logged in I don’t think, but if something was quite funny then I’d click and browse the thread and then go again. I’m sure in total over that year I made Sean about 60p, but if 100 people are doing that a month then it pays for, what? A day of this place being up?

I’m not saying I agree with it and I wouldn’t personally give a shit if it ceased to exist, but I guess it’s about money unfortunately. I don’t think anyone on here wants the forum to be paywalled, so maybe more threads should be in the SSP section where they won’t show up in the newsletter? I dunno. I’m not claiming to be a smart cookie.

Personally I will be doing my bit and trying to get into more ridiculous situations that I can relay as hilarious anecdotes so they can in the newsletter and nothing else. I know, I know. Selfless.

3 Likes

Listened to by who? Sean? The mods? As has come up time and time again, there are limitations to the functionality of this site and under current conditions it won’t always work in the way people want it to.

As I said upthread:

2 Likes

I do think its a bit dodge having posts for someones birthday going in the newsletter. Maybe they should be ssp too just for privacy reasons

6 Likes

Selfie threads don’t go in the newsletter and I think can only be seen by registered users. But obviously it’s fair enough if anyone still isn’t comfortable posting pictures of their face.

2 Likes

Well… maybe in a way, but also I wasn’t being particularly empathetic or whatever.

That’s understandable. Weirdly I don’t post many selfies any more either, but will still happily talk in detail about hideously embarrassing things :smiley: Dunno. I’ll tell the internet about me shitting myself but if they critique my eye makeup I’ll sob. We all have our limits I guess.

There must be a way for @sean to appoint an unpaid PA to help monitor the output though. Not putting myself forward mind you cause I was a shit mod.

1 Like

SUCH a dreamboat :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I too am outraged that DiS Twitter is not a Roscoe and Marlon stan account

also :blush:

4 Likes

Just worked out I’ve been lurking/posting for 11 years and now I feel bilious

This goes for the email too. I’m not naive enough to think that this is a private members club or something but it would be good if it could be recognised that a not-insignificant amount of users here still aren’t comfortable with things being shared beyond this site, whether that’s seen as ‘reasonable’ or ‘rational’ or not.

3 Likes

I’m nothing if not a jester of a human, but if even one person is uncomfortable or unhappy, then that isn’t unreasonable or irrational and warrants a bit of thought and empathy.

1 Like

Problem is that even if 100 of us common schmucks see it that way, it doesn’t matter if it’s falling on deaf ears where it counts.

Put all the boards under whatever functionality stops the SSP threads being included in the newsletter, then nothing goes in. Maybe have a Newsletter board that isn’t covered by it where we exclusively post fish puns and quiz team names to get sent out to the wider world.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s necessarily true- I think Sean is working within the constraints of a forum that he didn’t build. It’s not perfect by any stretch but he acknowledges that and does the best he can… I dunno. I’m sorry lovely, I think maybe my input now isn’t helping or providing anything useful so maybe my time to bow out.

Love you always though funky! Xx

:zipper_mouth_face: time for me on that note. Don’t want my edit button taken away now do I.