DiS posts on social media

I don’t want to precipitate another long dark night of the soul for sean (and it goes without saying we are, and should be, incredibly grateful for the site he created and the community that has been built here) but my stance for a long time has been that the controls and structure the users of this site want is incompatible with the current mode of ownership and operation.

16 Likes

Ah, of the Knightsbridge Safaris?

3 Likes

I hardly ever do it. I thought the comment was hilarious and was highlighting it.

I have now deleted the tweet but I’m curious how anyone feels we’ll pick up any new users (replenishing those who stop posting) (or reminding people we exist to come back) without occasionally sharing a few gems from the forums.

For the record, just 6% of our followers saw the tweet and there were nasty replies

I wouldn’t share anything in bad faith but I understand why people might assume bad faith as a default.

Feel free to DM me your concerns so I can address them.

I don’t think anybody is assuming bad faith, it’s just a preference that this… not happen.

10 Likes

It’s not assuming bad faith in you, it’s knowing how awful Twitter and Facebook can be, which you also know.

I’d vote for checking with the poster before sharing elsewhere.

16 Likes

This sort of thing makes me less likely to post and was a big factor in me taking a break last year. It’s a public forum etc etc but I don’t like being reminded how public it is.

12 Likes

Noted.

And is this the same for never sharing links to threads of interest?

Another vote for this kind of thing making me less likely to post.

I appreciate the thought in trying to replenish the user base, but if it makes a lot of us anxious and potentially cause some to leave, it doesn’t seem worth it.

8 Likes

I’m all good man, I don’t have an issue with you sharing stuff on socials, this isn’t a concern for me.

My post was about the fact that issues like this keep recurring, and it feels to me like many posters want a level of control over how the site is run (like, how are DiS’s social channels used?) that doesn’t really match up with how things currently work.

I’m not advocating for any change right here, and I certainly don’t want to cause you any upset or stress about it.

3 Likes

I would never share something problematic on purpose. Having managed social channels for big orgs I know the difference between what will be enjoyed by others and what’s throwing red meat for enragement.

I don’t think there are any examples of me sharing other people’s posts in bad faith.

I guess my non accusatory question on this is why do it? I mean, DiS isn’t a thing anymore, and the forum’s it’s own wee self-sustaining (i think?) thing…

I’m just curious as to the reason why it is done. No bad faith assumed! It’s a genuine question.

I mean, christ, a decade ago a whole thread on here was copy-pasted into a book that was sold on Amazon! This is a public place, and everyone needs to remember that. I just know that a few folk do feel that if one of us had a reach of 10k folk, and then screen grabbing that on Twitter would be questioned as well - it’s not just you, sean, ya feel me.

PS <3 you for this place, don’t think of this as an attack.

4 Likes

please don’t remind me. STILL waiting for the royalties.

11 Likes

Pride is a key reason, probably. The community posts so many amazing, thoughtful, funny, insightful things and sometimes it’s nice to remind the world this place still exists and continues to thrive.

Isn’t stumbling across things like this how many of you ended up here?

Are people ok with me sharing threads like this which provide a fantastic public service?

https://twitter.com/drownedinsound/status/1484452560735911940?s=21

I don’t know if this is a massive pain in the arse @sean @moderators but could it be a simple case of having a tag in threads which people are cool with being made public? Things like Sean’s example above where it’s just music recommendations do seem like fair game, but if there’s an obvious sign that it’s likely to be shared people will know ahead of posting, and likewise if it’s not there would be more likely to open up/be more personal.

This asks a bigger question about whether this should become a private paywalled community.

Due to debts I’ve recently had to close the limited company side of DiS and am open to radical changes. At present, the traffic from non logged in users does help cover come of the running costs.

In the time it would take to check permissions it’s better if I just don’t link to the forums if that’s what people would prefer. I often just have 15 mins to check the forums and share things in the moment.

1 Like

I’ve always felt that the public nature of this forum and it being free to all was important but perhaps times have radically changed.

I would estimate it happens about 4 times a year. And maybe once a month I’ll link to a thread.

Think sharing nice big threads with interesting discussion = fine and good, but sharing screenshots of a specific user’s post = definitely ask before doing so. That’s it really.

7 Likes